From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:32:54 EDT
Danee, I've had two people come to me in private with concerns about
where money is directed to in the UGa when donated for ADV.  I didn't
know what to think or say because I had not directly corresponded/donated
to them for a long time.  I had no problems previously.  But I had
realized that things had changed there, and also that along the way there
was something contraversial going on with the foundation (actually we now
see it was with the Univ, now that you've posted).  It took a couple of
reads for me to wrap my pea brain around it all, but I get it now (I
hope).

I'm really enjoying the read about the PCR, and CEP tests, because I have
a lot of trouble remembering what each one does.  Maybe we can make a
little rhyme to remember.  Robin Jones told me how to remember what
stalagmites and stalagtites were (they might fall and they hold tight)
lol.  I'm excited about the possibility of a new test.

Sometimes people forget, that it takes years and a lot of crossed t's
and dotted i's to move through research and to attack a new disease.
There are several steps.  Discovery, ID'ing and testing, pathology and
treatment/innoculation.  Now some might think that full pathology should
be the first on the list.  It is human nature to want all the answers and
to become so obsessed with understanding all the details about something
as scary as ADV.  But that obsession can cost lives.  Defining a disease
and how it spreads can take years.  Heck, we STILL have questions about
AIDs at times, and even then, it is said that AIDs has mutated a bit
since we first saw it.  Virii change as you study them, unfortunately.
It takes us tens of years to change out generations in humans, but it
takes a virus months, weeks, sometimes days and only hours to change.
Generations are contantly changing over and so evolution moves as warp
speed.  Anyway, tests are vital to saving lives.  Reliable tests.
Because if all you care about is getting the answers, skipping steps
onto treatments, you will cause many deaths while you wait around for
that to happen.  It is most important to identify the disease (test) and
prevent the spread in order to save lives and to buy time so that you
can come up with treatment options.  To ID it, you have to have reliable
tests that the public has faith in.  Tests that aren't expensive and that
are readily available.  Even tests that can be done on the spot for mass
rescues and events that are "cheap" for everyone (not to ever be used
instead of standard tests done in labs however ... everything has it's
place and is an added tool for the fight).

I've met Dr Stephenson and sat on the edge of my seat in Vegas when she
spoke.  I saw Kate Pennick in Atlanta, and was impressed with the fact
that several people were actually given a tour of the premises and labs
there at the UGa.  In addition I was aware of some of the research that
was coming out back then.  But I was in the dark after that.  You didn't
just shine a light on this time period, you shot a darn flare for us!!

Thanks so much!

Wolfy
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com