From:
Juliana Quadrozzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 12:30:08 -0500
So that my non-ferret enthusiastic human family doesn't disown me, I must
make my annual pilgrimage to NY.  I need caring homes to take in my fosters
while I'm gone for 2 weeks.  I have 17 fosters in 9 cages.  A couple of the
cages do out-time together.  A couple of them are a little nippy for
attention, but there are no biters & they're all ECE free.  Please contact
me (ASAP - it really is right around the corner) if you can share the joy
of your holidays w/some unfortunate orphans.  Let me warn you now, they are
ferret math positive & highly contageous.

Any NYers out there willing to allow a desperate, displaced fostermom in
withdrawal a fuzzy fix?  I'll be staying on the S shore of LI in Hewlett,
Nassau County & Rockaway, Queens.

>From:    Lisa Hoxmeier <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: My Little Theif, Manny

You didn't mention it, so I thought I'd remind you to "open" the tprs like
pop-n-fresh rolls, turning them into safe cardboard springs.  I've heard
about too many ferrets getting them on their heads & asphyxiating.  I have
experienced "head in roll" 1st hand - as frantically as they try, they
can't get them off themselves.  Even if your fuzzy has never put one on his
head, that doesn't mean he never will - he's named Monster isn't he ;).

I don't want anyone to learn the hard way that it's better to be safe than
sorry.

>From:    Barbara Wiborg <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret asthma..NOT!
>Also.  I am trying to ferret-proof (or "temporarily ferret-deter") my
>living room but have lots of big plants.  What can I use to keep them from
>digging in the dirt?  I have heard of putting stones on top of the dirt to
>discourage them.... And also need to keep them from climbing under the
>cushions on the couch... (I already removed the legs on the couch)...

The easiest way to keep fuzzies from digging in your plants is to get a
bunch of egg-sized rocks & cover all the exposed dirt.  It will keep them
out of the dirt, but will still allow them to explore, while allowing you
to keep your plants in the room.  You can very easily water right through
the rocks, although your plants will be much heavier if you intend to move
them.  You can go rock collecting or buy them by the bag from a plant
nursery.

Ferrets usually get into upholstered furniture where the arms meet the
back & seat.  Try stuffing them w/rags.  It isn't a 100% cure, but it
slows them down quite a bit.

I'm very sorry to hear about Greta's diagnosis.

Juliana
FERRET BUSINESS of GA
foster care/adoption/information
(770) 984-1417