From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 09:23:27 -0700
>From:    Donna Austin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Resolution - Washington, DC Shelter Ferret

We folks in the DC area need to co-ordinate our efforts better.  Despite
having three or four groups that want to think they are National groups we
have to work together to help with ferrets that get turned in and
overturning the DC ban.  Diane works in the city which could be useful for
getting ferrets out from the DC animal shelter.  I can ususally manage to
get enough time during the day to drive in and pick one up.  We need to
prevent turf battles amongst ourselves.  We have a lot of good shelters -
lets not bicker about whose territory certain areas are and work together.
We personally live farther away than from the city than several other
shelters now have plenty of shelter ferrets of our own again so we certainly
don' NEED DC ferrets but we never turn ferrets away.

Do I understand correctly that Diane Rogers is going to work on the ban?
Hopefully all of the support she got from local groups can be regained and
with more help from Virgina groups we can actually get somewhere.  Of course
we'll support such an effort.

>From:    Tracy Tunnison <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: GLFA Show, stickers, ferret math, SciDi food
>>From:    Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: stickers, weaning, TF, threesomes, ECE help
>>For those people buying kits at pet stores, it is a good idea to moisten
>>the dry food with water or mix in canned Iams or Sci Diet for at least
>>two weeks, gradually reducing the additive until the kit is eating dry
>>only at 8-10 weeks of age.

>I posted before about SciDi being unsuitable for ferrets any longer.

Canned not kibbled.  Pam was discussing using canned food to moisten the
kibbled for kits.  We don't like the kibbled Science Diet much but the
Science Diet Prescription A/D is an excellent food for ill or young ferrets
You can only get A/D through a vet but we much prefer it to the Science Diet
Feline growth - the ferrets do really.

>From:    Cheryl M Forbis/DELCO <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Shows

>I was thinking of attending both the Chicago and Michigan ferret shows, but
>I don't know where to get info about them.  Could some one direct me to this
>info?

If you use a WWW browser you can get info at
  http://www.ferret.org/afaevent.htm
This is the AFA Event listing.

For these two shows though the page points at

+Greatest Show on Earth VIII
+Championship Ferret Show
+October 19
+DuPage, Illinois
+Sponsor: Greater Chicago Ferret Assoc.
+Sanctioned by Independent Show System
+Call: 708-964-4232

+Renaissance '96
+Championship Ferret Show
+November 9, 1996
+Lansing, MI
+Sponsor: Great Lakes Ferret Assoc.
+Call: 800-807-4617

>From:    sheena staples <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Mazzy the Hunter and Eukanuba for cats

Loved the story... Our ferrets ignore the mice that used to get in through a
crack in the wall.  I fixed the cracks so no more mice.  But now we have
some English with hunting experience in their recent backgrounds.  I've
often wondered if these might do better.  I could always tell when mice were
around because they would steal the ferrets food right from under their
noses and deposit it in odd places.

We will try Eukanuba for cats as soon as we get a chance.  We use the puppy
food and were very pleased.  We like the Iam's cat and kitten so we are
optimistic.

>From:    John 'kaligula' Coder <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: pack animals??????

We don't think ferrets have dominance battles either.  The squabble and fuss
and fight but hardly seem to have any concept of leader.  With no leader to
pick I don't think they are true dominance fights.  Just fussing over whose
turn it is mostly.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/