From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 19:03:06 EST
Re: A sad day
Well, we bought two 3-4 month old ferrets at a pet store.  They turned out
be be a handful in the biting category.  From their reactions, I don't think
somebody treated them the best while they were at the pet store.  In fact, I
know that it was most likely a woman since the one ferret used to bite every
woman she saw.  I got *LOTS* of bites.  These ferrets had worst then zero
socialization.

It's been almost two years since we got them.  Two years of hard work.
They're better....not perfect unlike our other two, but better.  Numerous
times in the first six months I felt so...tired.  It was a lot of constant
work to get so you could live with them and them with you.  It's hard and
some people just can't do it.

It's not my place or anybody else's place (on the FML or beyond) to judge
you or your actions.  I feel bad that you couldn't have the gratifying
experience of when your biter comes around and shows you that they love you
too.  But perhaps things will work out for the better for you and/or the
biter you gave up this way.

On FML, like any other electronic forum, you must remember not to take
everything people have say to heart.  There are those that engage the
fingers without first engaging the brain or the heart.

Re: CA F&G
<about F&G folks on the FML>
I agree with those that have supported having CA F&G folks on the FML.  You
don't have to read the FML long before you realize what truly special and
wonderful creatures ferrets are!  The CA F&G people are some of the people
that we would very much like to understand that!

Re: Vaccinations
We've had the luck with vaccination reactions.  Two of our four ferrets are
reacters.  Squirt reacts to rabies vaccinations and Atlas to distemper.
Squirt no longer gets rabies vaccinations since he reacts violently even
with premedicating him first.

It was good news this past weekend when we did the yearly checkup and the
first round of vaccinations.  We had everybody vaccinated for distemper.
Atlas got premedicated and we were ready for the worst.  Other then a little
puffiness in the face and redder/pinker then normal feet/pads, he was fine.
This is a great relief.  With our experiences with Squirt, we almost were
hesistant to go through the pre-med stuff, but it worked!!

Just a reminder to those new here, be sure to stay at your vets for a little
while after any vaccination.  If one of your ferts reacts you'll be happy
you spent those extra minutes to an hour so wisely!  Also be sure to
separate different vaccinations on different visits.  If you do both at the
same time, you may go through another reaction next year when you try to
figure out which vaccine caused the reaction.

-kim, squirt (this year I didn't puke after my shot!), atlas (ditto!),
 pippi (what's all this puking non-sense the boys do?!), and 'jinx (ditto!)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.