Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:30:53 -0500
Hi

I would like some input, information and any common experiences you may
have had about ferrets and vaccines.  2 of my ferrets reacted badly last
year, very sick, vomiting, bloody poop and were just miserable.  I don't
know if I am going to put them through it again.  AFTER an initial
reaction, the SECOND can be much more SEVERE, right?

The other day I brought two different ferrets to the vets, I was told
that ferrets may react more severely if both the rabies and distemper
were given together.  This vet wanted to give only the rabies shot and
then wait a week for the distemper shot.

Is this common?

I always thought it was the distemper shot that gave the reactions more
than the rabies.

Is there a higher incidence of reactions to the distemper vaccines than
the rabies?

Last time 2 of my ferrets had the reactions, both the rabies and the
distemper was given on the same day.  Should I try just the rabies shot
and wait and see what happens?  and then a week later the distemper?
Does it make a huge difference if the vaccines are separated?

Also what kind of distemper vaccines are available?  Isn't there a
Ferravac, galaxy d, and a purevax?

Which is best, with lowest reactions overall?  is there anyone who has
more info on these distemper vaccines.  And is there a web site for
each of their companies products available.