Date:
Sat, 26 Dec 1998 11:32:25 -0500
Hi folks:

Found a couple of addresses to send mail to Mr. Jack Hanna.  Please
don'tsend "nasty-grams".  Remember that this man can do a lot to further
ourcause if he so chooses.  Or damage it.

You can reach him at:  [log in to unmask]
or
Mr. Jack Hanna
c/o The Columbus Zoo
9990 Riverside Drive
Powell, Ohio    43065

And here is a copy of the e-mail I sent off to him today:
Dear Mr. Hanna:

My husband and I are both long-time fans of yours.  We applaud your efforts
to educate the public to the plight of animals and the raising of
awareness, all round.

However, we were more than a little upset/surprised by some remarks you
made on the Larry King show on Christmas Eve.  Specifically, your remarks
concerning ferrets.

Part of what you said was wonderful ... potential ferret owners SHOULD
educate themselves before making the decision to buy a ferret.  However,
the fact that you chose to illustrate your point with a story of a ferret
"distroying" a baby was less than good judgement.  As an owner of 8 loving
ferrets, and a person who is doing what they can to educate the public
about ferrets, I was dismayed by your portrayal these wonderful pets.

Lets take a look at the number of dog mutilations vs the number of ferret
mutilations of people.  I don't think there is a comparison.  Ferrets have
been domesticated since the time of Ancient Egyptians.  They are no longer
"wild creatures" and have become the 3rd most popular pet in North America.
No, not everyone is a suitable ferret-owner, the same way that everyone is
not a suitable dog or cat owner.  But there was no need for you to portray
these wonderful, intelligent, loyal, loving pets in such a light.  That
single phrase set the cause of ferret-education back 5 years.

As a much respected figure in the field of animal rights education, many
lay-people rely on you for their information.  Please remember that a
little incomplete information undoes hours of attempted ferret-ownship
education.

Thank you for time.

Tonia & David Smith
http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Lights/6755/ferrets.html