From:
Sandaili <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:32:52 -0700
I agree with anninchicago.

I had two stalker biters - after a few years, one got better, one
didn't. I have taught her it's bad to bite. She knows it. If she bites
me or tries to bite me, she gets scruffed and hung for a minute (while
the others are playing). I did an experiment the other day, she still
will try to bite me after I scruff her. Immediately after I let her go.
She will walk up my shirt and try to bite my face and neck. But then I
can still hold her, just not with abandon.

She grew up with the owners using welding gloves to handle them. She
probably doesn't get that it hurts me to crunch on me. But she knows I
don't want her to, since I punish her with scruffing. It's just that
scruffing doesn't work on her, she could care less. The formative time
when they are kits is when you really need to give them the most
training and attention. Yes, it can work for most ferrets when they are
older, but sometimes ferrets are either "a little wild" (think of some
that lick, lick, lick, CHOMP!!!). Those "lick-chomp" ferrets are often
very, very well socialized and loving animals who give kisses, but then
if you let them lick your arm they will bite it. I just don't let them
lick very long.

The other ones are grab and pull biters - they want to hide you. Like
a toy! This can really hurt, because they don't want to let go. I also
just try to be aware when Fisher is around, she does this.

But Okojyo is a biter-biter. She just wants to bite. She thinks it's
fun. And when she is punished, she just comes back and tries to bite
again. It hurts, because she just wants to clamp down. Imagine you are
in a room and they're all playing. She comes up, and bites you. You sit
down and unlatch her, scruff her, and let her go. She turns her neck to
bite you when you let go. It's immediate. Yet it's not the "fear
biting" or crazed biting I've seen in other ferrets. She just calmly
WANTS to bite!

I do ignore her. Your ferret (the original poster) is even worse, and I
would just recommend giving toys. The toys like plushies, you can shake
and try to get her to attack them instead. Then walk away. If she comes
after you again, have another toy ready, as a buffer. Sometimes it
takes a few more times for Okojyo to just leave me alone.

Laryssa