From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 16:01:15 -0400
Dawn, oh, I didn't think that you were putting a/d down.  I knew that
you were letting all of us know about an aspect I hadn't heard mentioned
before but which should be known.  Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.  I
think that perhaps there was part of me wondering if my putting down that
second situation in which it isn't the best food might cause some people
to over-react negatively about it when it actually has a lot of great
uses but the high fat content and the high sodium content which you
mentioned do create times when it isn't the best alternative.  I've run
into a few too many people recently who are acting quite all-or-nothing
with cure-alls and stuff like that so I am sensitive to that possible
response to posts these days and didn't want to trigger such a response.

Christy, as you know, the pet store person SHOULD have had a necropsy
with pathology done, and now she should be providing veterinary care
for those left, should remove them from the sales floor, should use
careful cleaning procedures to avoid accidentally transmitting things.
For example, if there is something that can be carried on clothing or
shoes like ECE or Canine Distemper the sold kit is not the only route of
infection.  She NEEDS to find out what is going on and the only way she
is going to do that is to provide the NEEDED VET CARE.  Sorry to shout,
but not providing needed vet care is a form of animal abuse and as you
know one of these kits has already died so this is not a minor situation.
She also should contact the farm and the distributor to ask if they are
aware of any infection in their facilities, but remember that infections,
parasites, etc.  can be picked up also en-route, or in the pet store.  A
vet friend regularly mentions pet stores as places where infections often
happen.  The pet store person also should notify the people who bought
the kit and offer to pay for a veterinary visit for their kit.  There is
NO substitution for vet care.  If she won't provide veterinary care try
to find out it that is required when needed in your state; in N.J. it is
but I know the states vary widely.