From:
"Todd P. Cromwell III" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 1997 03:01:02 -0800
>...  Their pupil is round (like ours) and they can turn their eyes

1. Ferret pupils are, in my opinion, NOT round.  They are football-shaped
when constricted, and are a horizontal slit.  You can see the pupil in the
right light.

2. I have been telling people who might want ferrets (as many do, after
seeing Dors an Seldon when I walk them in the park each weekend and discuss
them with people), that they should consider FOSTERING a ferret for a time
with such an agreement from a ferret shelter.

I would think that shelters would jump at this opportunity, because the
ferret minimally gets better attention for a time (as long as one screens
properly), and if it is not right, the ferret comes back to you (more firmly
than if you sold it and hope they live up to their agreement about returning
if they don't want it).  What do shelter operators think of this?

3. British ferrets are cool and definitely can have personalities acceptable
for pets.  I met Sheila Crompton's units, and they are a delightful gang.
Played with them massively, roughly (in her words, I "beat them up" . . .
well, I like to roughhouse . . .).

4.  Tried out Farnsworth Ferret's Fun Pack - this may have been mentioned
before; it's a children's education game with a talking british cartoon
ferret to help guide you through the education games.

>zigzags using his nose as a homing device....

5.  My friend Dennis Gentry says a ferret's legs exist solely to motor the
ferret's nose about!

>have been domesticated longer than cats then I say cats are wild!

6.  I always say: try to bathe, clip claws, clean ears, or scale teeth on a
batch of 40 cats and 40 ferrets ... see which is more adapted to human
companionship; whoever has the least scratches and bites wins.

7.  What I want is a ferret screen saver wherein: the ferret toodles around,
when you move a window near it it jumos backwards, then grabs the window and
wrestles you for it, chews the edges of things, tries to drag icons back
into a corner, has an approved place for pooping, curls up and goes to sleep
right next to the window you use most often.  I suppose I'm a software nerd,
so I should be creating this, but I am a fan of UNIX/The X Window System,
not Microshaft Windows, and I have enough projects already (and ferrets with
whom to cuddle).

Todd Cromwell III, Washington State, Dors and Seldon