From:
Paula Bryder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 23:16:04 -0400
Hi ferret friends,
I read the IFNS report on declawing, and was disturbed by the
characterization of Dr K as 'boasting' about the number of declaw procedures
she performs.  I refuse to be drawn into a discussion of declawing, but I do
want to talk a little about Dr Kemmerer, from my limited experience.

Operating at a loss, Dr K examined, treated, tested for heartworms, and
succesfully neutered all of the Arcadia ferrets we brought her.  The Arcadia
ferrets (I believe she treated 38, all told) disrupted her clinic's routine,
cost her overtime, scared her staff with their biting, overwhelmed her
clinic with their smells & poop levels, and generally terrorized the
premises.  She never complained.  She handled & treated each of these
unsocialized, terrified babies as if they were the gentlest Marshall Farms
pet store pets.

Without her help, her generosity, and her unselfish giving to the the
Arcadia ferrets, I wouldn't have Eli, Ronnie wouldn't have Clover, Jackie
wouldn't have Zeus and Stubby, and, and, and... She made Arcadia possible,
and she has earned my deepest affection and respect as a result.  This
doctor loves ferrets, like I do, or Barbara Ludt or Jackie Hawley does.

Again, I WILL NOT be drawn into a declawing controversy, but I feel strongly
that this good, loving, generous ferret vet needed to have another voice
heard.

Happy ferreting, friends - remember there are always two sides to any story.

Paula