From:
Marti Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 1996 19:20:10 -0400
I just wanted to write and tell fellow ferret owners a sad story, and the
ignorance of some people.

I went today to get some chickens from this fellow, and I mentioned that I
have two ferrets as pets.  He exclaimed that he had one as well, but it got
sick and died.  I inquired why, he proceeded to tell me that he had the
ferret outdoors in a unused chicken pen, close to the live ones, to ward off
MICE AND RATS.  And he never took the ferret for distemper shots.  So he
figured that it died of distemper.

He said that just the smell of a ferret would keep the place clean of
rodents.  He said that he sure would like to have another one, to replace
the deceased ferret, but they cost too much.  I couldn't say anything
afterwards, just looked at him in amazement, thanked him for the chickens,
and left.

I am still wondering where this mans brain is, but I can only guess........
Talk about having ferrets and the abuse they are subject to, goodness only
knows what the ferret went through and how the poor things ending was like,
it goes to show you that not everyone is entitled to be a ferret owner.

Just wondering, if he only threw the ferrets litter box refuse into the pen
area, that it would serve the same purpose, and a ferret would still be
alive today.

Marti Smith