From:
"Lisa G. Fleischmann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 1996 11:30:12 -0700
Hi!

Someone (someday I'll get better at learning names!) mentioned that salt may
cause a problem to ferrets at the beach.  I don't think this is a big
concern.  Just make sure your ferrets have good access to fresh water.  They
tend to be good at taking in what they need.

Salt toxicity occurs when an animal becomes severely dehydrated over a long
period of time or has a chronically increased salt consumption.  It goes
something like this...the ion concentration is increased in the
extracellular fluid because of the decrease in water (or increase
consumption)...eventually ions will cross the blood brain barrier to reach
an equillibrium between the the extracellular fluid and the fluid in the
brain...high ion concentrations in the brain not good for normal brain
activity...if animal drinks water at this time, the high ion concentration
of the fluid in the brain will draw water in...increased pressure on the
brain...you can see where this will lead -- not a good thing.  I think salt
toxicity occurs more in large animals just because of the management
practices.  ie. automatic waterer out in the pasture that isn't checked
everyday to see if it is working properly, some slip up in the mixing of
feed, etc.

                           Lisa and Noah
                           Daisy -- Mom, why did you move the plant?
                           Squirt -- I didn't do it!