From:
Brian Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 1991 13:08:17 CST
-> From: hank davis <[log in to unmask]>
->
-> It struck me as quite interesting that the last newsletter
-> contained two items that tell us a lot about how ferrets work.
-> First Brian tells us that they steal his socks. Then eric tells
-> us that they steal the insoles out of his shoes. You dont have
-> to be named sherlock to figure that these two items are usually
-> pretty funky smelling and, hence, quite attractive to ferrets.

Then how do you explain clean socks, anything they can riggle into,
all the dog's squeeky toys, plastic bags, shoes (not just insoles),
lufra sponge, and the TV remote control!  All of these items have
been found under Squirt's favorite bed.  (By the way, I'm not the
Brian you mention)

-> Similarly, my pet rar, one of the gentlest creatures in the world,
-> could be counted on to bite my girlfriend's toes. In fact, she
-> couldn't NOT bite them. What we find vaguely embarrassing about
-> us can be a source of delight to many animals.

Squirt will invariably find a way up on our bed and play with (nibble,
scratch, whatever) my wife's toes.  It drives her nuts!  I must admit
that it's probably not the best way to get woken up in the morning.
The point of this is, that Squirt doesn't mess with my toes, so I think
that he likes the reaction it gets and not necessarily the funkiness.

Tell your girlfriend to tollerate it (if possible) for a few times and
maybe 'rar' will get bored.  If it's not fun, where's the incentive?

Just a couple observations from a rookie ferret owner, but a veteran
pet lover/owner.

Also, to anyone else out there:  How do you keep the little monsters
out of your house plants?  I've tried blood meal, and that seems to
work pretty well but tends to rot on the surface (mold grows).  So
alternatives would be appreciated.

For what it's worth,
Brian, Squirt, Reeses, Snickers, Frosty, Ashley, Haley, Snow, etc, & Ann