From:
Risa Di Vincenzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 May 2005 23:00:42 -0400
Have to add my thoughts to recent posts saying it's the owner's
responsibility to be fully informed about a product.  Yes, we need to
be knowledgeable about what we give out pets, but it's still wrong for
companies to create and sell products that are dangerous.  We are talking
about products that will hurt the intended user when used properly.  If
given a marshmallow cake, a ferret could get a fatal blockage.  If given
"12 per day" yogies, a ferret could have an insulinomic episode.  It's
wrong.  And not all owners are are as informed as they should be.  But
if they are buying a product stated for their pet (not giving a ferret
a dog's rawhide or a cat's catnip) then they should be able to feel
confident that the product is a safe.  We are talking treats, an owner
may know they are not the healthiest product, but they shouldn't be
risking their ferret's life by giving them a treat created specifically
for them.

I almost lost Mikette due to a bad product.  I was very informed before
getting her.  I was ready with a mix quality foods, proper cage, bedding,
vet appointment, etc.  And I got a harness so she could explore outside
with me.  I bought a harness made for ferrets.  It was the figure 8 kind.
As she began to go explore a hole made form an above ground root system I
pulled her up a bit as she was going in too much.  Imagine my shock and
horror when half the harness came up without her.  She had been able to
slip out of it.  Luckily I got her out, and later on the internet learned
the H type is more reliable to say the least.

Let's also not forget that there is incorrect educational material out
there.  I know I've read you can give things like fruit and milk as
treats in books I got from the library.  Most of these books are
outdated, but I know bad advice still gets circulated.

Let's continue to encourage companies to make products that are not
harmful to our pets.  It is a responsibility they should accept.

Risa