From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2003 00:25:38 -0500
I know Dr. Kemmerer and highly respect her and her veterinary abilities
(AND her love of bats, which I share!).  If I lived ANYWHERE in the state
of Florida, I would beg her to be my vet.  Having said that, I read her
post with great intere st, and have a few comments.

>PLEASE everyone remember that "natural" does not necessarily equal
>"good."

I couldn't agree more.  While I am absolutely convinced anyone who has
the ability to care for, feed, and protect their own children also has
the ability to feed their ferret a non-kibbled diet, just because
something is called natural, it does NOT follow that it is good.  I am
constantly amazed at what passes for diets, supplements, and even
medicines for ferrets, nearly ALL without referenced (or ANY) support.
Many times I have been accused of disliking pet food manufacturers, but
that is extremely inaccurate.  I DISLIKE kibble.  If a better food were
made, I wouldn't care less who made it.  In fact, I would prefer it if
such a food were made by a pet food maker simply because it would tend to
be more consistent and safe.  The point is, I am NEITHER pro-natural or
anti-pet food manufacturing; I am simply for the best food possible, and
I am Not convinced that includes kibble.

>We know that our dogs' ancestors as well as contemporary wild dogs
>have a life span of three to four years....Why would one assume that a
>diet which evolved for this short-term hunter-forager lifestyle would
>necessarily be good for a pet who can expect to live to about twelve
>years?

I disagree with this.  The remark that a life span is only "three to
four years" is, in come cases, statistically correct, but factually
misleading.  For example, wolves rarely breed PRIOR to three years, and
typically live to 12-13 years of age in Alaska.  A similar problem is
seen when looking at feral ferrets and polecats, with life expectancies
of 10 and 11 months respectively.  Since wild polecats and feral ferrets
are second season breeders, such a lifespan would make it impossible for
the species to reproduce.  The problem is most "life expectancies" are
NOT mortality tables (Life Tables).  In most animals, including the
ancestor (progenitor) of the dog and ferret (as well as their feral
relatives), mortality rates of the very young are extremely high, which
reduces "life expectancy".  HOWEVER, the lifespan of the survivors
generally approximates half or more of that of the domesticated species
(the difference being vet care, freedom from predation, and lack of
starvation).  The typical age of death of a wolf (correcting for early
mortality) is 8 years, with life spans up to 14-15 years not uncommon,
and upper records in the early 20-year range.  Polecats typically live
3-4 years, with many living to 5-6 years, and upper records around 8
years of age.  Animals in captivity live as long or longer than
domesticated animals.

The premise that a short lifespan negates the importance of an
evolutionary diet is therefore invalid, simply because while an average
lifespan is short, the survivors live surprisingly long lives.  It is
invalid for other reasons as well, notably that the cause of death of
wild animals is rarely attributed to diet (unless starvation, or its
effects, are counted).  Parasite load, reproductive stress, accident,
disease (notably rabies and distemper), within-group aggression,
predation, and scores of other factors KILL animals, even those fed to
standards above that of pet animals eating modern kibbles.  Natural
selection theory suggests for those animals having long evolutionary
lineages, metabolic physiology is optimized for specific diets.  For
statements suggesting otherwise in the face of a tremendous amount of
data, more evidence other than a suggestion it may not make sense is in
order.  One makes the assumption "that a diet which evolved for this
short-term hunter-forager lifestyle would necessarily be good for a pet
who can expect to live to about twelve years" simply because there is a
complete lack of evidence to falsify the assumption.  Simply put, if the
assumption is false, support the argument with data.

>The reason we see so many more cancers in pets as well as in people
>is that none of us as a species has EVER lived as long as we do now --
>not even close.  The longer you live, the greater the chance you'll
>eventually get cancer or a host of other problems.

We are in absolute agreement on this statement.  When people ask me why
cancers are on the rise in ferrets, I say it is because we are taking
such good care of them.  Cancers (excluding juvenile cancers that tend
to be heritable) are diseases of old age.  They are caused by the
accumulation of genetic damage, which takes a long time, so they are
correlated to aging.  The only real way to delay the onset of cancers
and other diseases of old age is to minimize exposure to those
environmental agents that cause genetic damage.

>All I'm asking, for your ferret's sake, is that if you depart from
>the recommendations of professional nutritionists, do so with extreme
>caution.  All may not be as it seems on the surface.

I'm NOT convinced professional nutritionists always have the best
interests of ferrets in mind.  I think Tom Willard does; I have met him
and I consider him to be quite responsible, I am convinced he loves
ferrets, and he is very concerned with their nutrition.  MOST modern
ferret diets are adequate at best, and some are dangerous to the health
of pet ferrets.  The ONLY kibbled food I will recommend is Totally
Ferret, not because I like Tom Willard (I do), but because I am convinced
his ETHICAL STANDARDS encourage him to only use the best components
possible.  Personally, I apply the same standards to professional
nutritionists I apply to ANY scientist: PROOOVE claims with clear data
capable of independent verification.

However, that same demand also exists for ANYONE offering an alternative
diet, medicine, supplement, or treatment.  I have been accused of not
being tolerant of alternative treatments, but not true.  As long as I
can see data capable of supporting ANY diet, medicine, supplement, or
treatment, I accept it.  All I want is evidence, and that INCLUDES the
suggestion kibble is a better food for ferrets than the evolutionary
diet.

Bob C