Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:38:22 -0600
Hey Wolfy,

I couldn't even begin to answer the domestication question in regards
to snakes because they are a totally different species.  I wouldn't
personally know if snakes could be domesticated or not.  It may even be
that domestication does not play the same role with them as it does other
animals.  We have to look at snakes and ask ourselves what other foods
we could possibly feed them.  By your statement are you already making a
determination that snakes could be dangerous animals because they get fed
the diet they do?  Is that to say we are a product of what we eat?  We do
have to keep in mind that each animal on this planet is pre-programmed to
hunt and/or eat what it does.  I'm not so sure that snakes can be lumped
into the same thing here but I could be wrong.  Oh, Bob...!  Calling on
Bob!!

I can relate one story to you in regards to the hunting aspect of
ferrets.  Many, many years ago, hubby and I visited his in-laws which had
a home located out in the country.  We decided to bring the whole family
and thus 5 ferrets were packed in the car with us.  Upon arrival, we let
them out.  Well, it wasn't long before we almost lost the smallest one
(our precious Tasha) who must have smelled the mice they had in the walls
and proceeded to go after them.  Obviously, the hunting instinct in her
was alive and well.  As it is with the bunch we have now, one can't
always tell if a ferret will readily take to meat or have to be convinced
that it is good for them.

I think that it only makes good common sense to be wary and cautious
about mixing ferrets with those animals that are known more to be food
than friend to them, historically speaking.  We have a guinea pig, but we
would never allow him to be free run with the ferrets.  And this was our
attitude before we started feeding mice and chicks.  Some of our ferrets
could care less about the GP, while others seem to always want to keep
him in their sites.  Cleaning the GP cage is always a stressful time
because the ferrets always seem to know when he is out and about.  We are
ever vigil and thus no injuries have ever been inflicted upon him.  But
we would also not put a kitten in with ferrets either.  Kittens have a
different skeletal structure than ferrets do and they could not stand the
same type of thrashing around that ferrets do to one another.  Kittens
have been known to have been killed by ferrets, and so, I would also be
cautious about giving access to a kitten without constant supervision.
My suggestion would be to the person who was thinking of getting a
kitten, to head to the nearest shelter and pick up an adult instead.
You'll be saving a life and giving yourself better peace of mind.  Cats
and ferrets get along well and even an adult cat will learn to play
harmoniously with them.

I personally don't like the thought of feeding live anything and so this
would not be an issue in our home.  I have read about animals that had to
be taught to hunt after being fed killed prey all their lives.  Is this
the same issue with ferrets?  I don't know.  Bob?

Good line of questioning Wolfy! :-)

betty and her blur o'fur
for the love of ferrets