From:
Regina Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 20:14:47 -0500
This is to the woman whose husband is reacting to the new ferret, sorry I
forgot to write down your name-- I have asthma as well, and I don't notice
any difference in my sensitivity to male or female ferrets, or for that
matter scented or descented.  Was the new ferret eating a different kind of
food before you brought him home?  THe food pets eat can really affect their
dander and oil levels.  If this is the case, maybe just waiting a bit will
take care of the problem.  Also if the new ferret was kept on wood shavings
before you brought him home, that might have initiated your husband's
sensitivity, and now he's reacting to everything, not just the ferret.
Asthma is such a tricky thing-- it could even be coinicidence and not the
new ferret at all.  Best luck to you.

And here's a subject only a ferret owner could get excited about: Litter
scooping!  I too use wood pellets, and just figured out a great way to scoop
with minimal waste of pellets.  All you need is a regular, slotted scoop, a
scoop without any holes in it (food scoop, kiddie shovel, trowel, etc), and
a plastic bag.  Hold the slotted scoop over the mouth of the plastic bag.
Using the solid scoop, scoop up soiled litter and put it in the slotted
scoop.  Shake slotted scoop gently til the sawdust has fallen out and put
the unused pellets back in the litterbox, after removing any poop.  Yes,
I've gone through nearly nine years of university for this... It's amazing
what can make one feel quite brilliant.

Regina
and Cully and Amelia too!