From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 1994 11:24:09 -0500
FERRET FAQ FOR NEW AND PROSPECTIVE OWNERS
Compiled and edited by Pamela Greene ([log in to unmask])
(version 1.1, 1/31/94)

This FAQ is being distributed to the FML in about 20 pieces in order to
encourage your comments and suggestions.  I'd also be happy to send you the
whole file; it's roughly 75kB, but I can split it into smaller segments if
your mailer has problems with large messages.

*** PART 10 of LOTS ***

3.5> Should I give him any supplements?

[begin PG]
Ferretone and Linatone are two popular vitamin supplements.  They are
also one of the most common treats, since nearly every ferret loves
them.  The problem is, both of these contain vitamin A, which can be
very harmful or even fatal in excess.  No more than a few drops of
either Ferretone or Linatone a day is recommended, and it's not
thought to be necessary to give them any at all if you're using a good
food.  Signs of vitamin A overdose include hair loss and a dull coat.

Similarly, many people give their ferrets a small amount of a cat
hairball remedy such as Laxatone or Petromalt on a regular basis.
This can help them pass the styrofoam, rubber bands, and such that
they seem to love to eat, as well as helping to prevent hairballs from
fur swallowed during grooming.  Even better, most ferrets seem to
think of this as a wonderful treat, too.  Although they don't have
vitamin A, these laxatives can't be good in excess, so give them only
in small amounts.

3.6> What are good treats?

[begin PG]
Most ferrets also enjoy some fruits and vegetables such as bananas,
apples, pears, raisins, and green beans.  Although they're not thought
to be necessary for good nutrition if you're feeding your pets a
high-quality cat food, small amounts of these won't hurt.  Just be
sure you don't fill your ferret up on fruit, since he'll need to eat
his regular food to get the required protein.  As with everything, too
much of nearly anything can be harmful, so try to vary your treats.

Although most ferrets love milk and ice cream, they shouldn't be
allowed to have much.  This is especially true for young kits, since
the lactose in cow's milk gives ferrets diarrhea, which can easily
cause them to become dehydrated.  I'm told that goat's milk, available
in some pet stores, is okay, but I haven't seen any verification of
this.

Too much fiber can also give ferrets diarrhea, so limit raisins,
oatmeal, apples, anything with bran in it, and similar foods.

Otherwise, try feeding your ferret pretty much anything, in small
pieces.  You never know what yours will consider a fabulous treat.
I've heard of ferrets going wild for everything from spaghetti to
blueberries.

[start SC]
When talking about Duck Soup and similar foods [mixtures of fruits,
grains, and so forth intended to supplement ferret diets as well as
serve as a well-balanced treat; see question 4.4 for an example]
(many have been developed) it pays to specify hard boiled egg yolks
instead of just saying "eggs".  Many carnivores don't digest the
whites well and I have never seen any research showing that ferrets
can so till we know for sure ...

Sugars can interfere with the acquisition of chromium from Brewers
Yeast so it is best to give it at a time when sweets are not given.

[begin RN]
It's best to have several kinds of treats, so that you don't give too
much of any one kind (practically all are bad in large doses).
Ferrets are often hesitant about trying new things, though, so you may
have to coax them a bit -- try putting a bit of Linatone on it the
first time you offer it.

Another treat suggestion -- puffed rice cakes. (taste like the
styrofoam they love so!)

Chocolate: most ferrets LOVE this, but DON'T let them have it.  Most
ferrets can probably handle small doses, but something in chocolate (I
forget what) is fatal to ferrets in large enough doses, and I've heard
that some ferrets are sensitive enough that even a small amount can be
deadly.  Best idea is not to chance it, and try and keep chocolate
away from them.

[begin BW]
The chemicals in chocolate are xanthines, which can have a profound
stimulatory effect.  But small amounts are certainly not deadly.
[Nevertheless,] I also do not recommend this as a treat.