From:
Cynthia Obrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 16:38:40 -0400
Thank you, thank you, thank you to the person who posted about how they
are using panels from a ferret playpen and its expansion panel pack to
make gates.  I've bought several very expensive gates that are sitting in
my basement, including the Weasl Watcher.  My ferts have defeated every
single one by either jumping up to catch the top of the gate and pull
themselves over or by simply climbing the gate or wiggling underneath it.

I have a couple of the Marshall ferret playpens and one set of the
expansion panels.  I was able to use panels from a playpen and a couple
of expansion panels to make two gates.  They're working great!  The ferts
can't climb them and they're too tall for them to jump up and grab the
top.  All it took was three eye-hole screws on each side.  I used plastic
straps that are used to tie up electrical and computer cables together to
connect panels to eachother and to connect the gate semi-permanently to
one side of the doorway.  Then on the other side of the gate, I used the
hooks built into the gate panel to slip into the eye-screws on the side
that opens.

In many ways, it's easier to secure this gate than any of the others I've
tried.  My kids found it easier to climb over the old gates rather than
fiddle with the connectors.  Another plus is you can easily set it up so
the gate is removable at will.  I just connected one side to stay and the
other to open.  All it would take to remove the gate though would be to
cut the plastic straps and then connect it with new straps when I want to
put it back up, if I needed to remove it for entertaining or something.

It worked best for me to use three panels per doorway, but the great
thing is you can adapt this gate to any size door opening by adding or
subtracting panels from the set-up.  You can even buy just the expansion
pack to make a gate, without even buying a full playpen.

I was so amazed how easy it was to make this gate and how much cheaper
it was than some of the other gates I've bought.  The ferts and other
animals seem to love it too because it's so transparent and easy to look
at.  The cats and dogs will sit on the other side of the gate and touch
noses with the ferts but feel secure that the ferts can't reach them.

What a great solution to the gate dilemma!  Thanks again to the person
who posted the original idea!

Cindy and the mischievious 6