From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 02:26:18 -0500
As the bus rolled through Campeche, Mexico, on the Yucatan Peninsula, I
studied the signs of the businesses we passed, trying to read Spanish by
remembering my Latin and French.  Suddenly I saw, in huge red letters on
a white awning:

FERRETERIA

"Ferreteria"?  Is that like "cafeteria"?  I've heard that Koreans have
restaurants that specialize in serving dog...... I thought I must just be
missing my guys so much that my eyes were playing tricks on me.  I'd been
so stunned I hadn't noticed what kind of store it was.

I kept reading storefronts and finally, there it was again.  Not a
delusion, a ferreteria.  This time I tried to see what the store carried.
It wasn't a restaurant or a pet store, in fact it looked like hardware
store.  Hardware!  Of course!  Latin still comes in handy.  Ferrus - iron -
Fe.  Not ferrets.  Whew!  What a relief.