Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 03:06:21 -0800
>We do need a little breeding to keep the population viable (i.e. make
>the next generation), but the big problem is that this would likely drive
>a lot of breeding underground.  What you also need are STIFF penalties
>for rogue breeders, and enthusiatic enforcement to find them all....

I'll give you that.  I do tend to get emotional on my tangents...and I
have watched Animal Precinct one too many times this week...that would be
once by the way.  So much cruelty and ignorance really sets me off but
again, I think you are right, we need to license the owners not the
animals and really beef up the enforcement.  Any animal control officer
will tell you that there just aren't enough of them to keep up with it
all.

>..you would probably get a lot of flak on some other lists.  But then
>I'm not a reptile person.  What reasons do you have for an outright ban?
>(Don't bother answering that if you're busy.  Consider it rhetorical.

I'm sure I would get flak but we all know that doesn't bother me.  I was
involved in reptiles when I started rescuing.  A friend of mine rescues
reptiles and if you think ferrets are expensive when they get sick????
She has calls from people daily asking her to take in their iguana...
which got too big...because the pet store said it wouldn't grow any
bigger than the tank it was in.  Actually the incident of illness is not
so great PROVIDING that they are being cared for responsibly...which most
of them are not.  Large reptiles require ALOT of space as well as heat
and humidity controls.  I have seen a fourteen foot Burmese Python curled
up in a tank no bigger than it is.  That is no kind of life for any
animal.  This is not a critter that you can "let out to play" and even a
well fed snake is capable of having you or a family member for dinner.
Accidents happen to even the most responsible large snake owners.  Did
anyone see "The Big Squeeze" on Animal Planet?  Absolutely frightening
what can happen.  Think about all the animals who are just dumped in the
street when they are no longer wanted..Imagine walking through the park
one day, looking up into the trees and seeing a twelve foot snake looking
down on you.  IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.  And there are way too many people
breeding these animals.  Anacondas, large constrictors, green iguanas.
These are animals with very intense needs.  I know.  I have a green
iguana that I rescued.  Abandoned and left in an apartment for two
months, no light, no heat and no food except for some iceberg lettuce
(wrong diet) that the maintenance men tossed him once in a awhile.  He's
a surly little guy too.  Very difficult to handle.  Very strong with a
tail that will lash you and leave you needing stitches.

>I keep amoxi dropper bottles and such - they make great Ferretone
dispensers.

Great idea!!

Ending a pleasurable bout of "Point, Counter Point". LOL

Kim

Fuzzy Hugs from Kim and da kids at Somethin Up My Sleeve Rescue
Ask me how you can virtually eliminate the need for veterinary dental
visits.