From:
Philip Langley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 1996 20:24:48 +0800
Firstly very many thanks to all of you who wrote with ideas about Dexter's
feet.  The vit E capsules helped tremendously and I'm happy to say his paws
are fine and dandy now.  We found him a great home and his new owner thinks
the world of him.

Now to my strange request ... we have a farmer who comes into the Ferret
Centre quite often.  He tells us he has forty ferrets and has been feeding
them bread and milk and liver, as have his father and his father before him.
Philip gave him the spiel about proper nutrition requirements and off he
went, only to return a few weeks later to tell me that he gave his ferrets
pasta and rice, was that okay.  I told him that wasn't really a good idea
and he again reiterated that his family have been feeding ferrets on bread,
milk, liver for around sixty years and they were all okay so why should he
change now?

I showed him James Mackay's book, Deborah Jeans' book as well as Fara
Shimbo's Tao.  The farmer was not impressed, so I said I could show him lots
of stuff from the FML and that seemed to catch his interest.  He asked me to
do show him evidence from all the people on the FML as to why bread, milk
and liver is so bad so please, friends, I do need help on this.  I have told
him everything but he doesn't listen.  The latest call Philip got from him
was to say that he put CAKE in his ferrets' pens and they loved eating it.
I think banging my head against a brick wall is easier than trying to make
this guy understand, it's truly incredible.

He seems to love his ferrets but he can't handle them and told me about some
fellow following him into one of the pens and having about 10 ferrets
latching on to the man's legs, teeth sunk into the flesh.  They had to burn
matches under their noses to get them to let go ... the mind boggles.

Please, please, please email me directly with whatever you think might get
through to him but please, remember I shall be showing him the replies so
I'd appreciate it if he's not referred to as "the idiot" or similar :) I
would be very grateful to get replies from any of you English ferreteers, as
well as those Aussies who are out there, plus any other nationalities so
that my farmer will see that most of the rest of the world know that ferrets
are carnivores and should eat a carnivore's diet!

Your help in this matter would be muchly appreciated and I sincerely hope it
helps his poor ferrets!!

G'dooks to you all :-)

Nona
The Ferret Centre