From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 13:16:59 -0400
I am in total agreeance with Betty when she states asking permission
to use others work.  Someone takes the time to put brochures, posters,
newsletter, web sites together with their own art work and designs, the
least that some one can do is ask first before using them.  As far as
the 10% rule, in the ferret community, literature gets passed around
very often therefore people noticing things copied.  I would personally
think it would make an organization look really bad for using the same
liturature, event names, logos, thus also causing confusion amongst the
public and businesses.  Shame on organizations that do this.  There is
no gain in this, only huge loses for the ferrets.

As for the point on leaving an organization and not passing on certain
contacts or information..... sometimes these people who obtain this
information obtain it through personal business contacts or friends.
Many contacts would prefer to deal with that person ONLY and no one else
from that organization, thus causing contacts to be lost if that person
obtaining the information is no longer a part of your organization.  That
is where your organization gains but can also lose.  It is the chances an
organization takes when you deal with a volunteer base.

As for an understanding that
>When a volunteer joins an organization, they do so with the
>understanding that any work performed,written, created or otherwise,
>a long with contacts made, remain the property of the organization.

Betty most volunteers don't know this or even think of this when
joining an organization on a volunteer basis.  It is the duty of that
organization to make it clear to its volunteers even if it is in contract
form.  But you also have to understand if information is not given back
to you upon the volunteer leaving, it may be for the reasons of keeping
their good name with these business and friends.

Ok... you state
>Perhaps we should take a page from our history and post to a single site
>the names and offenses of people who steal from shelter just like years
>ago in the newspapers when you were convicted of an offense.

Maybe that should be done but in all fairness there should be a site
for Organizations that treat their "unpaid and dedicated and desperately
needed" volunteers with utter disrespect.  Or maybe another for an
organization that doesn't realize exactly what the meaning of
"volunteering" truely is all about.

Unfortunately there will be a few "bad eggs" in every group, but remember
the "bad eggs" are on both sides of the fence (whether it be volunteers
or management) .

--
My mind not only wanders, it sometimess leaves completely.

[HM]