Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 13:59:13 +0000
Just an update on my babies.

They had a HUGE day!  I arrived at the airport and found a TINY crate that
the exporter thought was large enough to carry seven ferrets.  At that
stage, I seriously considered turning around and taking my babies back home
with me!

First thing we found was the inadequate water supply.  Tiny tube and
miniature bowl at the bottom with instructions to water every twelve hours.
TWELVE HOURS?  They're kidding, right?  Seven ferrets with a bowl barely
enough to fill one?  Thankfully I'd brought some water bottles with me "in
case".  They'd been using those bottles for five days with no trouble.  and
although I didn't have room <grrrr> to fit the two full-sized bottles into
the cage initially, a way was found.  So, two hours after arriving at the
airport, after much fiddling and help from the airlines, the cage was
installed with two large water bottles and one icecream container full of
food.  More than enough for the time they'd spent in there!  Finally, the
hammock was installed, and then the ferrets.  I was still not happy with the
size of the crate, but at least they had an area free from the floor to
sleep and plenty to eat and drink.  The exporter was in my bad books
already, he'd just made it worse.  Learning that he didn't know how to make
a cage safe for animals made it worse :o( - he had neglected to put the
spacer bar on the cage (a small bar attached to the sides of the cage so
that airholes could not be covered)

By the time I arrived home, I was exhausted :o\ and the ferrets were already
in the air.  They were due to land at 6.30 in the morning my time.  I was
at the computer at six, and learned the plane had already landed, and the
ferrets were being checked.  An hour and a half later I get bad news.
Someone at the airlines has developed a case of 'no brain' sickness and
decided to send the ferrets on to San Francisco.  Brilliant.  Three people
waiting at the airport for the ferrets to check that they were alright,
feed, clean, water and exercise them, and then the ferrets weren't even in
the city!  Not only that, but on an unorganised flight through California.
Great.  After much harrassment (MC, you're the greatest <g> - really had
them hopping!) the airlines had my babies in the cabin flying direct to
Reno.

They were MORE than excited to get out of the crate for a run once they
could.  They settled in quickly, and have already been practicing their
thievery skills, having stolen some hearts along the way :o)

While waiting for news on the kits, I received news of a different kind.
Tuzi (who is staying with MC) is already a prize-winner ;o)  She won the
laziest "other pet" on the web contest!  My personal favourite, Pepper,
came in second.  They're at: http://www.netfopets.com/contest.html

Just had to brag a little :o)

Thanks for those who sent happy thoughts to my babies.  They definitely
needed it today!  It's been a long hard day for them, ending up with close
to a full day confined in a little cage.  They did well, and will hopefully
adjust to the time and season change quickly :o)

Sam

Ferrets are my life - Ferrets are for me
They get me into strife - They make me feel so free!!
(Ah, probably because they steal everything!)
Email the criminals and I at [log in to unmask]
or visit at http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~fanmail/
and hope I get it... Before they do!