Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 18:44:50 +0000
Dear Ferret Folks-

I am grateful for all the advice in my inbox for improving the...no,
SAVING the lives of my chickens from the bloodthirsty Ping is He. My
hubby is coming home tonight with construction materials and we are
going to completely re-do the chicken vault. Yes, I can take more steps
to keep Ping IN the house where he belongs, (I'm thinking Lo Jack for
Ferrets) but if he can get in there so can other critters. We've
already had problems with a fox and a very skillful house cat. We've
had chickens before without major incident, but in a more suburban
location. This location is...more challenging.

I completely agree with Ardith that an attack goose is a fabulous idea!
We have been looking for one, but have had no luck. A lot of people
with chickens and guinea hens out here have an attack goose. THAT
would make Ping do a backing up to the pan dance all right.

I just have to be philosophical about Ping's obsession. He is a
*weasel*, after all, and it is in his bones to go after birds and
their eggs. He is a gentle and pleasant companion with people, but he
knows that he is a weasel. He is not being bad. He is being a weasel.

Alexandra in MA