From:
Jessica Cropper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:36:32 EDT
I know you've probably gotten lots of various advice for your babie's
nipping problem, but I thought I'd tell you what works for me.

I've had my two girls for about two weeks.  They're over a year old, and
when I got them, they would latch on like no tomorrow.  I had heard every
piece of advice from jaw squeezing to nose thumping, all of which sounded
odd and a bit cruel.  Then I just started doing what Momma Ferret would
normally do to a misbehaving baby- when they latch on, I say "NO!" in a
firm, commanding voice and take them by the scruff with my thumb and index
finger.  They almost immediately let go, and get real mellow.  One yawns,
the other spaces out.  Sometimes a shake them EVER SO GENTLY.  Just a teeny
wiggle, like a Momma ferret would.  They get the message fairly quickly.

It's discipline that works best, not those painful, fear-inducing methods.
Just assert yourself as the Parent, and show them that it is not tolerated,
and they'll learn that you don't like that.  Now, other people are a
different story-I almost feel like it's a domination thing.  Strangers and
visitors to my room get good toe nips, and nip if picked up.  THey're
either trying to protect me, or their space.

Either way, I accept it as part of the Fuzzie way, and keep patient.
They'll get over it eventually if you stay consistent.

Jessica
plus Bijoux and Francesca