From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 1997 16:26:41 -0500
In memory of the ferrets recently lost we will be sending another
contribution to the Morris Animal Foundation soon.  Please, accept our
sympathies.

We had this in our first place with ferrets.  The holes in the floor also
pose a problem.  What we did was to measure each base board heater allowing
for a wraparound segment at ends, then we went to a metal shop where they
make fancy lengths of grill work (right name?) with designs punched in them,
attached them to the heaters with heavy duty wire, and painted to match the
room.  It looked VERY attractive, did not pose any hazard, and kept the
ferrets safe.  (Plus it kept out the mice which were a problem in that
area.)

Oh, if anyone misunderstood, the letter on MFs was general, though the
person who addressed the issue was specific, so I did not admonish K.  to
not twist my comments, but any FML reader to not do so.  Also, I do
recognize that the home survey had similar sampling and recollection
problems that Pam's survey had.  My personal SUSPICION is that both may be
pointing to actual situations and there are disproportional numbers among
the shelter ferrets, but NOT among the home ferrets, leading to the question
that if this turns out to be a valid assumption then what aspects are
working together to predispose shelter-specific MF ferrets to adrenals
needing correction, and can they then be addressed to help the ferrets and
the shelters?  Like any other suspicions these have to remain no more than
that until enough data is in and more formal studies done.  Heck, in my case
since I'm not a vet it's not even an educated suspicion.

Aprille, Fox lists 50 days as normal for eruption of the permanent canines.

Warp has received her second piece of junk mail.  Dick Clark wants to help
"Warpetta Crandall" win $10,000,000.  All I can say is that guy has class!

This morning that sweet little girl gave Steve a gift.  He was putting all
into the cage after a long housewide romp and she picked up a segment of
carpet, carried it to him ceremoniously and graciously laid it over his
foot.  Okay, bribery works.

Learned yesterday that Path Valley uses their retired breeder females to
help raise the young of other mothers.  It would be interesting to know what
proportion of females of other breeders serve this function since that would
affect numbers of how many are given away or sacrificed with each breeder
due to this being an option which had not been considered in discussions.
PV also has the habit of placing their handicapped ones in helpful homes.
That's a thing to encourage as well.

Speaking of which: Scooter not only doesn't mind his many missing toes, he
should have been named Scoop!!!  The affected paw is an incredible SHOVEL --
far better than ones with toes.

Everyone here is getting past ECE though we'll be off limits for a danged
sight more.  Six year old "Chopper the Organic Helicopter is still skinny as
a stick (though Science Diet AD mixed with water keeps her in a safe region)
but with her lower weight she has regained much of the athletic ability of
her youth; combine that with her loss of sight due to protein accumulations
in her lenses and you have one amazing and dangerous combination.

Do you need to make a ferret think you are a demi-god?  Make sure the ferret
is in a safe place and light a match.  Yikes!  Works on Meeteetse like a
charm.