From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 22:09:37 -0400
Rachel,

Thank you for addressing my concern.  I did try to contact you by phone
(got your answering machine & left my work phone number) & via e-mail
(several times regarding this issue & the ferret finder page) and got no
response.

I do understand you are not GLFA.  I do, however, like the fact that they do
require a copy of an adoption/purchase contract & an alter contract be sent
in with your entries.  I thought your show last year was wonderfully put on
& can't wait to attend it again.  It was relaxing & friendly & we enjoyed
ourselves very much.

I understand your concern for the ferrets well being.  I have the same
concerns for their health as well.  That is why I do not alter my kits until
they are fully mature.  I have seen too many consistancies of young ferrets
with adranel cancer.  That is also why I require full names, addresses,
driver license numbers, phone numbers, and a signed alter contract (&
adoption contract) with a specific alter date on it.  That person must alter
the ferret or I take it back - no refunds, no questions - and the person
knows that up front.  I have gone and taken ferrets back before and would
not hesitate to do it again.  I know not every breeder does this and I
understand the reasons for your rules.

As far as the changing of the sale/adoption rule, I had several people
e-mail me on the subject thanking me for posting the change (some of which
had sent in entries).  They didn't catch it, as they figured everything was
the same as last year.  I just was suprised it was not highlighted or bolded
since it was a change.

As far as my implications of there being one breeder, I was comparing a
show to going directly to a breeders residence - but maybe doing that well
enough.  I did fully understand your rules.  The sales between breeders
outside of the show maybe should have been clarified in the show packet, as
I was not the only one confused.

I did not bring this up because I want to unload kits.  I only have a few as
most of my kits sell before I can take them to a show.  I do, however, have
many older adults that need homes also, as I am a breeder & take in some
shelter ferrets.  In that respect, I place ferrets with the right person (or
I try my best), whether it be a kit or an adult.  I personally like to see
the older ferrets go before the kits.  Kits never go to a first time ferret
owner - because a kit will be a kit.

I am sorry if you took offense at my post - I did not mean it to be so.  I
was frusterated as I hadn't gotten a response from you, and wanted to warn
other breeders of the rule change.  I am sorry & I was out of line.

Looking forward to the show & seeing you again,

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521