Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 16:44:37 EDT
Hey - this seems to be a nice debate (and hopefully non-flamable)!
Interesting to learn how other's animals act and react & how us humans deal
with it.

>From:    Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Simultaneous housing of paired viripotent hobs
>although not yet sexually mature, more frequently than not , assumed the
>doggie style mating postion relative to his cage sharer and would hold him
>by the loose skin fold on the back of his neck for hours as a time.

My in-laws have 4 ferrets - Mitts, a rescue female; Andy - a male that
came with a jill we purchased (one of her kits - already altered at 4
weeks = ( ); Beau - a male we bred; and Whatchie - a male we bred & was
returned due to financial reasons.  All animals are altered.  They all got
along great until one day we heard a shrill whine from their cage.  Andy
(the (cringe) 4 week old alter) who is now a year old had Whatchie (altered
at 8 months or so) who is now a year old also by the scruff of the neck in
the same (as Ed put it) "doggie style" position.  He just held him there &
wouldn't let go.  He left scabs from the holding grip, but didn't inflict
other wounds.  The ferrets were separated into different cages and are now
fine together again.  Remember, the male ferret doing this was ALTERED
EARLY.  Why would he be showing sexual behavior towards another altered
ferret?  We figured it may be jealousy as this boy gets jealous easy.
Maybe this was his way of telling my in-laws he wanted more attention?

>However, the mitigation here is that the brothers have grown up together.

We also have hobs that grew up together - not brothers but raised like
brothers - and they do not squabble with each other.  In fact, when out to
play while in rut, they seem to greet each other like they missed one
another.

>The second hob you pick up will get very, very agitated upon scenting the
>first hob's odor on you and your clothing, will frequently start digging at
>your clothing with his powerful forepaw claws, and whamo!  he'll nail you
>"real good" unless you control his head or distract him with a chicken leg
>or a bottle of Ferretone.

My boys don't do this - jealous ferrets that don't give kisses maybe, but
never mean to ME (other ferrets maybe) & NEVER have I been bitten by one of
my current boys (except when they were silly kits).  I believe I am more apt
to get nailed from a hormonal jill with kits!  I do have a boy that I do not
trust quite yet & he is always handled with care - but he is an import &
still a kit yet.  If I have a hob that acts irrationally (not normal hob
behavior - biting humans as Ed describes) is not tolerated.  Off to the vet
they go.  As many people know temperament *is* inherited to a point & I am
breeding for temperament & conformational correctiveness.  Therefore - bad
whole boys become good altered boys.  I don't want nasty hobs or have to be
worried that somebody is gonna get bit.  I always let people hold my boys
when they come to see my ferrets.  That way they can get to know the sire of
the ferret they are interested in & get an idea of what the kit may grow up
to be like.

As a former breeding manager of horses, I have a saying - "Being a breeding
animal is a privilege.  I don't care how pretty you are, how your offspring
look, or if you have championships galore - if you are an a**hole to handle
you're done".  I have seen out of control breeding animals injure or kill
their handlers.  A stallion we had in for training & breeding reared up and
hit the handler in the head with his front hoof - knocking the handler
unconscious.  He was castrated the next day (he used to lunge at people
also).  Sweetest horse you ever knew afterwards.

>I must always warn such an individual that he's at serious risk of being
>bitten and quite hard at that.

When at my place I warn everybody when holding or inserting fingers in cages
to scratch noses or ears.  Even if I know that ferret would never bite I
still warn - all animals are unpredictable, humans included.  Used to be
in MI my ferret's life if somebody was bit & reported it.

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521

~For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism~