From:
"Marlene B., Richmond Ferret Rescue" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jun 2005 06:34:40 EDT
As a shelter that has 7 "branches" with incoming ferrets out of our
ears..  9 came in last week, another 7-9 are expected this weekend...
sigh.  Tracie B., the most incredible people-person who is our Adoptions
Director, placed 260 ferrets in 2003.  Last year she placed 237.  We hope
to top that this year.

Needless to say, we get lots of ferrets who have names.The ones who come
through the Animal Control agencies, SPCA's, etc. usually do not.  Any
fert kid who doesn't have a name , well, we name.

As for the lucky ones who have names, we let them keep their names.
Sometimes they actually recognize their names- despite their constant
battle with Attention Deficient Disease, otherwise known as ADD.  So,
we leave their names as-is.  No matter how silly, weird, or offensive.
Oops, I did change 2 names.  But only slightly.  So that they might still
recognize their names.

Ummmm... I felt that "Jigga" for a dark sable boy was just not
appropriate.  Not even here in good, ole Richmond, VA.  So Jigga
became "Jabba the Hut"- he was a lard-ass, anyway.

And Heidi became Hiney- as in rear-end.  Much better-suited  name.

But I can't begin to tell you some of the names these guys/gals come in
with.  Here's just a few - Of course, their new adoptive parents are
always welcome to give them new names.  But here's just a few winners:

Lunisa (shortened to Lu-Lu)

Squirts- he had diarrhea from his previous owners poor food choice.

Francis (he's a rowdy, rough-housing male)

Layla (this owner didn't notice Layla's "belly button")

Maggie the Maggot- awww, heck- I forgot- I named this albino girl, with
her muskrat tail, funny waddle and VERY bulging red eyes.  And her very
pointed nose.  And her feisty, silly, bitey manners.

Stanky- we get many Stinky's, but only one Stanky so far.

Cleatus- and again, they didn't see the belly button.  So it became
"Cleatus- where's your penis?"

Ham & Bacon Sandwich - something to do with Monty Python???

Oh, and Hanna-Bell Lector and Miggs.  I take the credit for these names.
Both enjoy the taste of blood and were just not normal.  Both are retired
breeder ferrets...just love to rip your flesh apart.  But I still love
them.  They just have "issues".

God Bless those of you who name your ferrets.  No matter what the name.
It's the thought that counts.

Marlene and her many Bandits, Bears, and the occasional Stinky.  (am I
the only woman who is relieved to have made it through love-making
without farting?)