From:
"J. Wolfe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 1996 19:10:35 -0700
Our ferrets travel with us as a matter of routine..unless of course, we are
forced to go to California.  We have a station wagon and a Rodeo, and when
we travel, the ferret's travel cage is carefully packed in such a manner
that the litter pan, water, and food are readily accessable from the back
seat.  We tip the cage on its side so the door opens up, rather than to the
side..that way we can pack all around the cage.  The ferrets will explore
around the car, knowing what NO means when they want to explore the drivers
side of the front seat.  They do sleep a lot, and will disappear in all the
'packings' in the back.  When its time to eat, drink, or poop, they head to
the cage first, and then its 'toughie time' in the car.  The ferrets make
great travellers and often create 'hot-rodders' out of some pretty
conservative drivers.  Their children see the ferrets on the dash and then
see them get up and move about..then it's ..poke, poke and point time and
for us the exercise in lip-reading becomes easy..."Hurry up dad, I want to
see the animals in the car that just went by.  Come on dad, can't you go any
faster?  They are pulling away from us!!!  Mom, can't you make dad go any
faster??!"

When we hit the occasional McDonald's or Burger King, the little kids go
with us into the restaurant...neatly tucked away under our shirts.  The food
smell always gets to them and pretty soon, out pops a face with an extremely
wiggly nose.  Almost always, I get a number of "Oh how cute!  Will he (And
it **IS** always 'he'!) eat a hamburger or a french fry??" When I answer
yes, an extra always seems to appear in the bag, gratis..many times the
manager being the soft-touch!

I got a bit windy here, but the long and short of it is....ferrets travel
very well..just make sure the 'comforts' of home are included in the car and
all will go well.

Joe...with Billy-Bob on one shoulder and Garret the ferret on the other!