From:
Dave Hinz 4-6239 EIS Sys Admin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 08:02:07 -0500
Lita writes:

>If you take child and infant CPR as well as adult, you will learn that the
>smaller the person, the faster CPR must be performed. <snip>  Besides, what
>compressions to breathes ratio would be appropriate?

DISCLAIMER: I'm an EMT, not a vet.  I'm making some cross-species
assumptions, but as Bob might say, "mammals is mammals!"

Ferrets are a whole lot more likely to go into cardiac arrest due to an
airway obstruction than due to any kind of heard disease, just due to the
nature of the beast.  I think we can all agree on that ('we' being the FML
at large).

If your ferret's airway is obstructed, you need to clear that.  Without
Airway, Breathing and Circulation mean nothing.  If you can clear up the
airway, get some Oxygen in, and pump it around, it certainly won't hurt.
I'll leave the anatomy of the airway to someone who knows, but as far as
breaths and pumping, keep in mind your ferret has EXTREMELY small lungs.
We're talking quick, short puffs here, folks.  Chest compressions - again,
the goal is to get things going so your ferret's system can take over.  Get
some oxygenated blood circulating, and if you've been quick (less than 4-5
minutes) the chances are good.  The ratio of breaths to pumps is not
critical - I would suggest 1 breath, 5 chest compressions, but the overall
goal is to get oxygenated blood to the brain.  Once the brain starts getting
Oxygen again, chances are good that in a healthy ferret that the heart
should start up again on it's own.

Which brings me to MY questions:

1> Would chest compressions, or abdominal thrusts, be more effective in
   clearing an airway obstruction in a ferret?
2> What head position is appropriate for Ferret CPR?
3> Mid-sternum for chest compressions, or would you go "across" the chest
   like you would on a dog?
4> Where is the best place to find a pulse on these guys, so we can tell if
   CPR is indicated in the first place?

Dave Hinz, EMT (of people, but let's not get speciesist here)