From:
Cristy Kit Crider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:22:23 -0600
Hi, I just caught up with last few FML's....Saw Joan's reply so looked
back farther to see what I missed.

I am also allergic to my furkids, I think my intacts only though. I
only started breaking out after my first litter was born in July 2007.
I break out with what looks like poison ivy on my arms when scratched
with their nails. I snuggle them close to my face. I have what looks
like contact dermatitis. My neck broke out in whelps. My chin, around
my mouth and under my nose is severe dry skin. I feel like I have
chapped lips all the time. My face looks wind burnt and chapped. I
even have it in my ear canals now {dry skin}. Just thought at the time
it was that AGE thing....LOL

I have been using Hydrocortisone and cannot use Benadryl {allergic go
figure, LOL}. I have had furkids since 2004, and got an intact a year
later, my first, Zidane. I have 4 adult intacts now and two of the
litter that was born in July. It was after this litter that I started
breaking out. I try and not snuggle them so much around my face {this
is very hard to control}, but still kiss them on their mouths. I am
just dealing with it. When I trim nails I wear long sleeves, but as
far as my face, I will learn not to snuggle them in my face or will
deal with the dermatitis.

I am not having breathing problems as of yet and hope I do not. I am
sorry some of you are. As far as giving up my furkids or my dream of
breeding my boy Zidane, this is just NOT an option. My allergies would
have to make me so completely miserable before this ever became an
option. Not sure I would then either, I can endure a lot. Others will
have to make their own decisions whether they can live with this or
not.

I find it so ironic, I have had people turn in furkids to me because
they say they were allergic, I have to honestly say I would snicker
about it to myself...Not being mean about it or anything but always
thought, allergic to ferrets?????...I just have never been allergic to
anything, ragweed, mold, junk like that, but animals?..Have been around
them all my life. Who'd a thunk it.....LOL...Until we walk in someone
else's shoes, we just never know.

Good luck to you all out there with this problem, if you can deal, this
is great, if you can't, I for one will not judge you in the least...I
am sorry to all the people that could not keep their furkids because of
an allergy to them. They are such a joy, I cannot imagine life without
them. Thanks for listening to me ramble.

Kit Crider

Jack & Cristy "Kit" Crider
"Had A Life"
Traded it For Ferrets !
Kit's Critters Ferret Rescue and Shelter
Promoting and Protecting the well-being of Ferrets

e-mail

web-site url
http://www.freewebs.com/kitscrittersferrets/