From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:27:21 -0400
Remember that ferrets are descended from animals that ate livers pretty
much daily but were burrow dwellers who had crepuscular (dawn and dusk)
major activity times, so they can handle what for humans would seem
like high levels of A, BUT like dogs they get too much D easily and can
have problems such as hypercalcemia from too much D. (Humans don't have
that same dietary background so we reach toxic levels of A more easily,
but we have a long history of our most recent ancestors being diurnal
so we can become low in D quite easily when we spend too much time
inside in front of screens. In fact, a number of U.S. kids get out so
rarely that they are at risk of rickets.)

For actual numbers on A for ferrets see:

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html