From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 10:51:39 -0500
>From:    "JEFF JOHNSTON, EPIDEMIOLOGY" <[log in to unmask]>
>BUT, what is it about plant protein that's less acceptable for ferrets?

That's a really excellent question.  Probably a vet will give a better
answer for this, but here are some theories:

1.  Plant proteins have different ratios of amino acids.  Legumes and nuts
may be extra rich in some amino acids that ferrets don't need, or lack some
that ferrets do need.  Or, more simply, their balance is better for bunnies
than ferrets.

2.  They need more saturated fat and cholesterol than is available in plant
protein packages.

3.  The cellulose and other materials that go along with plants inhibit
digestion of the proteins.

4.  There's a trypsin inhibitor in many of these, and the ferrets bellies
can't deal with it.  (Though this affects people the same as ferrets, that's
why you don't eat raw dried beans, etc.  I don't know if peanuts have it)

5.  Ferrets love peanut butter, and everyone knows that anything that tastes
that good has to be bad for you.

Personally, I'm leaning toward numbers one and three out of my list.
Ferrets are true carnivores.  I'd be surprised if they had even a vestigial
appendix (I honestly don't know).  I'm thinking they can't handle vegetable
fiber at all, and that animal protein has a more balanced ratio of amino
acids.

FWIW,
Catherine

Mortimer says, "Split pea soup is good for ferrets if you mix in a little
Murphy's Oil Soap."