From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:32:51 -0400
Troy Lynn wrote:
>Also with biters, I will reach down and gently touch them when they
>aren't paying attention to me.  I reach down quickly, touch, then
>move my hand away as they turn and lunge.  I do this repeatedly.  I'm
>not sure if they get more frustrated at my touching or my giggling.
>What this does is gets them use to being touched without harm coming
>to them.

LOL!  That is one of the intro techniques I used for some previously
abused chimps I worked with decades ago.  From there I could move to
providing some grooming when their backs were turned or when they looked
sleepy, and then on from there.  Now-a-days I don't know if I'd be fast
enough to not lose a digit with an ape rehab if I am ever again in that
position, but it sure did help back then.  I think today I'd be more
inclined to skip the quick touch, and instead self- groom till one asked
for grooming with a turned back and then go that route, or wait till they
were very sleepy and groom then.  The second can be gently tried with an
abused ferret -- intro to touch while sleepy.

Also, during the FML 10th year reunion, which I guess is something like
8 or 9 years ago now Susie (Sorry, but I don't recall her last name, but
the pretty blonde, in Florida near Disney.) showed me a technique she
uses when there is fear of hands where at first the ferret is handled
with thick fabric laid over the hands to remove the sight of the hands
while permitting the feel.

Daisy, you can find the wheelchair/mobility cart info and also pantyhose
sling info in the archives of the FML and FHL (See the header of each
day's FML for address, and in my signature for the FHL ones.)

Another location with what sounds like a really, really cool mobility
cart is this:

http://www.ferretfarm.org/en-us/dept_98.html

or Google on

"Robert Morgavan"  "Ferret Flyer 5"

Was a CBC with Chemistry Panel done?  x-rays?  Other tests?

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org