From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2014 18:48:50 -0400
then I wonder if it might also eventually be a treatment for ferret
coronaviruses or point to possible other treatments if it turns out to
be too dangerous to use, while we all continue to hope that vaccine
work pans out.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/drug-candidate-takes-new-aim-mers

SHORT QUOTES

chemical, called K22, halts growth of a panel of different
coronaviruses, including the strains that cause MERS and SARS,
researchers report May 29 in PLOS Pathogens.

K22 is the latest in a slew of drug candidates to counter
coronaviruses, for which no proven drug treatments currently exist. But
K22 stands out from the crowd, says Stanley Perlman... University of
Iowa in Iowa City... could take years of testing and development, says
study coauthor Volker Thiel, a virologist at the University of Bern in
Switzerland. "We have no idea how the drug will behave in the body."

END QUOTES

Here is the study itself:
<http://www.plospathogens.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.ppat.1004166>

In ferrets there is the enteric coronavirus (ECE), and its mutant,
the systemic one which presents like dry FIP presents in cats.

See
http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/Presentations/
http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/Publications.php