From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 08:49:47 +0100
>Sukie wrote:-
>Here's something related to ferret-legging: every single year I wind up
>hearing from multiple reporters who want to do a story on the topic but
>they can find NO info which pans out once they check it out.  (One reporter
>tried three years in a row; fortunately, he's nice guy.) Anyway, I have to
>wonder if the Scots have a marvelous joke on the rest of us by even
>mentioning this.  Not sure it even really exists.

I believe it was more a north of England thing than Scottish - a bit
difficult to do ferret legging if you're wearing a kilt :-)

I guess it could be classed as a 'pub sport' - men would have to be drunk or
3 parts drunk before they put a ferret down their trousers, one of the rules
was they didn't wear underclothes, the one who withstood the ordeal longest
won the event.

Even now when we do PR shows members of the public make cracks about ferrets
down trousers.  Ron's stock reply is, "There's no room down mine!" My usual
reply is "I wouldn't want my ferrets to catch anything!" - either generally
has the desired effect and the bloke usually slinks off.

We do have a tongue in cheek Code of Conduct for Shows & PR Work which were
written by a couple of members of the NFWS which ends up with:-

"BUT!!!
Just let one more man mention trousers, and I swear we'll personally take
his measurements and announce them over the show tannoy."

Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare & National Ferret Welfare Society Newsletter Editor
http://www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm (Last Update 4 July, 1998)
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge: Jill, Deanna Troi, Cameron & Carnath