From:
Carol Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:23:25 -0700
>From: Chris Lloyd [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
>
><Soy powder is a good source of protein.>
>
>Just don't feed it to pregnant or lactating jills and young kits, (any
>kits) as it has been found to retard the development of the brain and
>has now been removed from most/

[Moderator's note: I don't remember this post on the FML -- perhaps it
appeared elsewhere?  But of possible interest nonetheless.  BIG]

Regarding Chris Lloyd's post about soy powder for ferret food, as a
former beekeeper I still keep up with the bee news.  I just recieved a
newsletter with a story about the development of a better bee feed for
spring feeding.  The feed is made in to patties and placed in the hive
to promote spring egg laying and growth of the colony.  Here's what is
intersting: "The patties- typically made of corn syrup, soy flour and
brewers' yeast- create another problem.  For reasons not yet understood,
bees that eat soy patties eventually lose their ability to produce a
food, called worker jelly, that's vital for the brood." Badger Bee
(Wisconsin) June '03 story about efforts to create a better formula feed.

Carol Owens