From:
Modern Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 00:22:47 -0500
Well, we just saw the CNN piece on us and were all very excited (both us &
the fuzzies).  Although we've all been on TV before, this was our first
time on CNN.  It really makes us happy to know that our magazine has gotten
another nice piece about ferrets out where the general public will see it.
Part of our goal in starting Modern Ferret magazine was to help create a
general public awareness that ferrets a nice, friendly pets.

It is especially exciting because this comes right after our magazine was
featured on the BBC show "Have I Got News For You." We've certainly been
getting a lot of ferret media coverage lately!

They started the piece by comparing Modern Ferret's "Ferret of the Century"
award to Time magazine's "Man of the Year" and to People magazine's
"Sexiest Man Alive."

Marshmallow was his usual laid-back yawning self (he yawns a lot when on
camera - I guess he's just tired of being adored by jills everywhere).
Having been the centerfold ferret of our first issue, he's really been in
the public eye for a long time (although it wasn't until issue #18 that he
graced a front cover).

Balthazar was also very good - few things scream "cute" as well as big
white mitts.  It's unfortunate that they didn't show him climbing up on the
reporter (in our house, if you sit on the floor it means that you are good
for climbing on).  He was the cover ferret for our Nov/Dec issue last year.

Bosco and Knuks did a good job of walking on the front cover of the
magazine.  I guess they wanted to show who's really in charge!

Mary looked very nice (despite having a horrible cold) and showed off her
latest hair color - blonde with pink highlights.  She probably could have
been more amusing if she was feeling better, but when CNN knocks you don't
tell them to come back later.

Bob Morrow (the voice of the ferret) from Goodby Silverstein and Partners
was very funny.  Now everyone can recognize the "man behind the ferret."

The downer of the segment was that they showed the scene from Kindergarten
Cop where the ferret bites the bad guy.  Of course, anyone who has seen the
movie knows that it was essential for the ferret to save the day.  (We had
hoped they would use the scene in the beginning when Schwarzenegger holds
up the ferret and says, "He never bites.")

For those of you who wonder what I (Eric) look like, it was a rare
opportunity.  Usually I am too busy working behind the camera to step in
front of it.  I think I still look rather heavy (I've been on prednisone
for a good part of the last 2 years and have been eating accordingly).

CNN spent a few hours here to film the piece, it's a shame they weren't
able to run more.  They got all sorts of stuff - ferrets doing tricks,
etc.  as well film of most of our ferrets including Koosh (our angora) and
Cauliflower (5 lb British ferret).  They even filmed the room where I do
the actual magazine production (which is probably one of the most chaotic
things you could ever imagine - with computer stuff everywhere & news
clippings from all the magazines we've been written up in & 5 years worth
of cover & centerfold props, etc.)

Overall I think it was a rather nice piece and showed a lot of good scenes
from the commercials (& some behind the scenes stuff).  A bit of positive &
lighthearted stuff about ferrets in the news.

- Eric

P.S. If there is a lot of interest in the piece, it may wind up making CNN
Headline News & International as well!

Modern Ferret Magazine - For ferret owners. By ferret owners.
Mary & Eric Shefferman & the Fuzzies: Sabrina, Marshmallow, Knuks, Trixie,
Bosco da Gama, Balthazar, Cauliflower, Koosh, and Gabrielle
http://www.modernferret.com