From:
Matthew Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 15:13:26 -0700
I was over at my breeder friends house, Jean, just yesterday.  Anyway she
has the most excellent way of not preventing digging in the food but rather
of saving it even when they do dig.  She get those ceramic frogs that are
suppose to be used for planting, the ones she has are green and white.  Well
they are excellent for saving the food, rather than preventing them from
digging.  The mouth of the planter, ie frog, is big enough that a couple
ferrets could stick their heads in there and eat at the same time however
only one could dig at a time and since the ferret have to sit up and support
themselves on the edge when they want to dig in their food they have to
reach down inside, and that's OK because the sides are slopped in that the
food doesn't fly all over the place but rather stays in the frog.  So the
ferrets can still dig if they so desire and not waste the food.  It works, I
watch several ferrets dig in their food, only a very very small amount of
the food even got out.  Another great thing about the frog is that it has a
wide base so it can't be tipped over easily.  In fact 3 Kitts were eating
and such with the frog and it wasn't even being tipped in the slightest!
All I know is that the next time I see one of those frogs or something like
at a garage sale I'll probably be picking it up!

Matthew Stevens,
ferret fuzzies Peanut, Bijoux
& the cat fuzzies Huerfano & Munchkin