From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 07:44:29 -0700
Hmm.  Well, I got an email regarding my post, and a situation was brought
to my attention.  As far as the webcam is concerned, Celia has asked
that the webcam be removed from Joe's page, and it hasn't been.  That is
copyright infringement.  However, from what I know of web design, the image
is credited to Celia, so unless/until Celia specifically asked, (which she
did) that he remove it from his site, he hadn't done anything wrong.  Of
course, it is generally considered good ethic to ask permission to use a
graphic, but if proper credit is given, and he isn't making any money off
it, it isn't actually illegal, as far as I know.  (I may be wrong, but I
don't use other people's graphics except as links to their pages.)  And,
he doesn't use her code.  Not at all.  If you view source on his page, you
will see that he only img src'd the .jpg from Celia's page.  It happens to
update when the image on her page updates.  He didn't use any of her code.
So the person who was worried about that shoudn't be.  However, since Celia
has asked that her webcam be removed from the page, and he hasn't I have
formed a new opinion and that is that he is a rotten guy.  However, without
that information, which I was only privy to in a response to my post, I
wouldn't have known that, and wouldn't have thought the page anything
special, but certainly nothing to be offended by.

Melissa

[Moderator's note: Sorry, I believe that is incorrect.  Even if credit
is given, it still is NOT legal to use another person's work without
permission.  BIG]