From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 13:27:18 -0400
The latest on Spot is that he is doing well considering what he's been
through.  They ran some of the blood tests again at the Animerge, but they
could not test for kidney or liver function.  The tests done showed his
electrolytes to be fine, but (like the ones form the lab) they showed that
he is fighting some form of chronic infection.  Can't find what the
infection is yet.  Nothing's been working; a lot has been tried.  Don't
know know if it may be viral or antibiotic resistent or what.  Also don't
know if what's been making him sick and the stroke are connected.

He just went from doing reasonably well and playing to flat out really fast.

He can stand (shakily earlier, don't know what he's like on that score now)
and that should improve once the catheter can come out.

He's alert and cognizant.

At first I was worried that one of the perfumes for his self-confidence and
status which I gave him may have caused a problem, but I've had one vet say
it's far less likely than a stroke and another say that is just plain looks
like a stroke, and she couldn't see how it could be the scent.  Even though
some other things are possible they are less likely than a stroke.  Glad
there's an Animerge.  We never had to use one before but he had to be
watched and people had to jump fast if he needed it, plus it made sense to
test his electrolytes and re-do the basic blood work.

Just got to do whatever seems best for the symptoms and try to unravel
this.  At least we've got a top-notch exotic vet and he's someone who
regularly picks the brains of other ones., (The other people at that
practise are outstanding, too; I think most have at some point helped save
one of our fuzzies.)

Spot should come home tonight.

Sukie