From:
"Lockemer, Todd" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 1996 16:26:51 -0500
>From:    Ferris James <[log in to unmask]>
>I want to know how to teach my ferret to roll over.  If anyone has some
>advice on this sort of thing please let me know.

Well, I have mostly just been a lurker on the FML trying to become as versed
as possible, but I think I have reached a point where I can be of some
assistance.  I have four wonderful little troublemakers all of which have
learned to roll over.  All it takes is some ferretone (or some other "treat"
that the ferret is fond of) and some patience.

The first thing you have to do is get your ferret's attention.  Sometimes
all this takes is getting the ferret to notice you have a treat.  If your
ferret is in frenzy mode then you may have to wait until (s)he starts
winding down.

Once the ferret knows you have a treat and is actively attempting to relieve
you of it, you place the ferret in front of you, say "roll over", and give
some chosen gesture (I snap my fingers and then make a circular motion in
the direction to roll over while pointing at the ferret).  When you first
start you need to help the ferret understand what this means by rolling
him/her over right afterwards.  Give them the treat right after you roll
them over.  Each day spend a little time doing this and as time goes on help
them less and less going from rolling them over completely yourself, to
getting them started rolling, to nudging them firmly, to tapping them
lightly on the side, to finally just doing the command.  One of mine now
rolls over with no command if she sees me holding a treat or right after I
place her in front of me!

Since you will be using "treats" for this, you shouldn't go through the
motions too many times a day to avoid giving them too much.  I usually did 3
or 4 times.  Once they learn the trick I stop giving them treats every time
and don't do it as often.  Also I use Petromalt as the treat most of the
time since it is something you should give them regularly anyway to help
prevent hairballs, but I have also used Linatone and one of the Ferret
treats you get from the pet store (I forget which one).

Good Luck!

Todd

Frosty - "Hmmm... treats huh? Ok, I'll do it. <roll>"
Snickers - "Yummy treats! Oh boy! Oh boy!, <roll, roll, roll, roll,
roll...>"
Kimba - "Awe come on, I have to do this again?! <half-roll> <pause...>
<next half-roll>"
Duchess - "Just give me the stupid treat already. Sheesh. Ok, fine! I'll
do it. <roll>"