From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:18:55 -0400
debi sadowski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Yes, you are correct about AFA's Canine Distemper recommendations
>but AGAIN, it does NOT explain what "PROOF" of canine distemper
>vaccinations are "REQUIRED" to enter an "AFA" show hall. IF you are
>ONLY allowing Purevax & Galaxy D why not make it simple and put it in
>writing. An AFA "SANCTIONED" show's requirements may differ depending
>on what club is putting on the show.

As Vickie pointed out in her post today - what is the point in trying
to verify that CDV vaccination has been given. A very high ranking
LOS officer has been banned from AFA shows for life because she
successfully falsified vaccination records, and brought a ferret into
an AFA show. So, how do you know she is not falsifying the records she
presents at LOS shows? Why check something so easily falsified. With
rabies vaccinations, you need the certificate issued by the veterinary
office giving the shot. These are numbered and recorded with the local
government, and also carry an original signature. Those are very hard
to falsify, and can be easily checked if someone tries. And, with ADV
test results, the AFA requires the original on the testing lab's
letterhead. Photo-copies and faxes are not accepted. Again, these are
harder documents to falsify.

Put the responsibility on the ferret owners. Today - everyone seems to
want to shrug off any responsibility for their actions, and let someone
else take the blame. Everyone wants to put the responsibility on the
Government, on corporations, and on organizations. This is a bad way of
doing business. Put the responsibility on the person or people. Peer
pressure goes a long way. I would not take an unvaccinated ferret out
into public - for the safety of the ferret - but even if I would, I
know that if my peers found out, I would be disgraced.

As far as I can tell, the AFA system of making the show goers sign a
waiver has been working.

I, personally, will not set foot in a show or event where ferrets are
in attendance where proof of a recent and negative ADV test is not
required for all ferrets. But, admittedly, for me this is a matter of
principle.

debi sadowski <[log in to unmask]> wrote
>Yes, you are correct about AFA's Canine Distemper recommendations,
>but AGAIN, it does NOT explain what "PROOF" of canine distemper
>vaccinations are "REQUIRED" to enter an "AFA" show hall. IF you are
>ONLY allowing Purevax & Galaxy D why not make it simple and put it in
>writing. An AFA "SANCTIONED" show's requirements may differ depending
>on what club is putting on the show.

Since I have been back showing, all of the AFA sponsored and sanctioned
show packets have been online. AFA sanctioned shows are online at the
website of the Sponsoring organization, and AFA sponsored shows, like
the Winter and Spring Nationals, can be easily found on the AFA website
about 2 months before the actual show. And, all the show packets
explain the requirements for ferrets to enter the show hall - whether
being shown or just visiting. Plus, on the AFA website page where shows
and events are listed, there is a contact phone number and email
address given for people wanting more information. Someone wanting to
know what requirements are before the show packet is posted need only
go to the page listing events, and contact the point of contact for
the show they are interested in. Again, this is not rocket science to
figure out.

When I started back showing after about a 10 year break, some of the
requirements had changed. And, 10 years ago, show packets were usually
not available online, so even how information was distributed had
changed. Yet, I had no trouble finding the information and
understanding it. I do not consider myself smarter than the average
person, so I expect someone of average intelligence could find the
information if they wanted to.

Danee DeVore
ADV - If your ferret hasn't been tested, you don't know!
For more information visit:
<http://www.ferretadv.com>

ADV - Find out how you can help:
http://help4adv.terrabox.com/