From:
Denise McWilliams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 13:55:21 -0400
Regarding Michel's comment on dog companions, I had written last fall when
my son was in the market for a ferret and I had concerns about blending the
ferret with my 2 older ( 8 and 9 yrs) Jack Russell terriers.  Many people
on this list were very helpful with suggestions (particularly Mary, whose
address I"ve lost and would love to hear how you made out with the
Borders).  I agree with Michel's comments on breed tendencies, but my own
experience, at least to date, shows that it really does depend on
everyone's personality.

I work out of my house and so am home much of the day.  The dogs, Homer and
Ella, and ferret, Cindy, have the run of the upstairs while I'm home, but
I never leave them all in a room alone for more than a moment.  ( I never
left them alone together at all for the first 2 months.) Initially, I kept
the dogs on a down whenever Cindy was around, but have been able to loosen
up considerably.  There have been some interesting moments.  The first was
when I found Homer and Cindy sleeping butt to butt on Homer's bed.  Then I
found Ella vigorously cleaning Cindy's head off.  The other day I was
wrestling with Cindy and she jumped off the bed, dived at Homer's head
trying to bite him (ok, this was less than cute) Homer, before I could
say anything, and while still lying down snapped at Cindy but didn't make
a real move to get her.  The lesson I'm taking from that one is that I
shouldn't roughhouse with her while the dogs are in the room.  ( Not
knowing how to, I didn't discipline Cindy at all-but I would love to hear
suggestions about this)

I would also echo Michel's point about working with your dog(s) independent
of the ferret.  Mine are kinda obedience trained (they are Jacks after all)
and I spend a fair amount of time hiking, running or playing frisbee with
them.

So, although I think its great advice to be familiar with breed tendencies,
so far, ( yes, I hedge my bets all the time) its worked out for me with a
breed that lots of people had serious concerns about, so it really does
depend on the individuals involved.