From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 13:51:25 -0500
Perhaps if I give a personal view on what we do this will motivate others
to donate whatever they can to shelters/ferret caretakers and also motivate
shelters/caretakers to strive to reach a better care level (if need be).

Before 1996, pre-ECE, we were doing very well.  The ferrets were healthy
and we maintained quite well.  Then it happened.  Our world, as it had
been, drastically changed.  Nursing 64 ferrets through a severe bout of ECE
took it's toll financially, physically, and psychologically.  We all made
it through but at a very high cost.  ECE weakened the little ones immune
systems and damaged their bodies so that underlying diseases surfaced -
adrenal, insulinoma, lymphosarcoma.  Our bout with ECE set us back to the
tune of $4,000 in a very short span of time and the continuing medical
problems continued to increase our debt.  BUT the ferrets at all times
continued to receive the proper and needed veterinary care, of which I
did the nursing at home.  This too takes its toll physically and
psychologically.  At no time was the ferrets care compromised.  They still
today receive the best possible care I can give them, and perhaps a bit
more as I constantly strive to do my very best for them.  But doing my
very best for them involves more than just meeting their basic needs - it
includes the extras as well, such as the daily loves and cuddles, sitting
quietly holding and caressing them, playing (housecleaning accomplishes two
things at once, the house gets cleaned and the ferrets get played with),
meeting a variety of nutritional needs (certain medical issues require
special nutrition), cleaning litter boxes and cages (everyone is free roam
but they have many cages with hanging hammocks and beds and litter boxes),
even when I'm so tired all I want to do is go to bed.  There are times that
I'm on the grumpy side but a ferret hug seems to melt the grumpiness away.

Our day starts a little after 5am when I get up to feed, medicate, clean
litter boxes, sweep and get myself ready for work.  Evenings involve the
same with extra emphasis on cleaning and socializing with the ferrets.
Usually about 9 I'm ready to sit down and at 10 I'm back up doing last of
the evening feedings, a round to see if any litter boxes need cleaned
again, washing the evening ferret dishes, and making recipe for the next
day.  Sometime between 11-12 I'm ready to go to bed, but usually there is a
ferret or two that missed the late night feeding and so it isn't uncommon
for me to get up a couple times after going to bed.

Pre-ECE I had twice the energy I have now so keeping up with the daily
chores is sometimes a struggle but the ferrets depend on me and it isn't
their fault that I'm tired or I don't have the energy.  I'm a bit slower in
my cleaning and there may be a few days my personal stuff doesn't get done,
but the ferret stuff always gets done each day.  The ferrets come first.

I do ferret work to help the little ones and to make a positive difference
in this world.  I love my ferret work and all the ferrets that come my way.
I'm blessed to be able to do what I do, even if it is struggle at times.

I can understand how shelters become over-burdened.  What I can't
understand is substandard care.  There is no excuse nor reason for it.
Our little ones deserve to be properly and lovingly cared.  If this means
I loose an extra hour or two of sleep each evening then so be it.

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services
Please sign up to support our charity