From:
Mustela Putorious <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 08:18:02 -0700
Musty Pete checks on Cher-Bear and Zebediah

A while back Sue and Dave and The Winchester Weezils asked me to check on
their Bridge Babies, Cher-Bear and Zebediah.  Cher-Bear was a beautiful
sable who was very much loved by Sue and Dave and their family.  They
miss her every day.

Cher-Bear had gotten sick and Sue and Dave took her to their Vet, she
seemed to improve and then suddenly her time came to cross over The
Rainbow Bridge.  Zebediah [lovingly nick-named Zebby] had leukemia.
Sue and Dave did the best they could for Zebby, and he held on for a
long time, but eventually they had to make a very tough decision to help
Zebby cross over.  Zebby was a handsome sable boy.

It took a bit of traveling on my part to locate Zebby and Cher-Bear, the
Rainbow Bridge community is a fairly big place.  At first I checked the
Newbie Dorms, but they hadn't been there....never even checked in.  But
mostly the younger ferts stay at The Dorms, it's sort of like being at
school.  They form small groups and hang out together.

I asked around and Francis Ferret told me she had heard of a small group
of fuzzbutts who were staying in a cottage somewhere near the Pool Of
Remembrance.  There aren't many homes on that side of The Meadows, but I
decided I would hike over there and check it out.  It's a good walk, so I
decided to have lunch before I left.  I was about to ask Francis to join
me when she piped up and announced she had made a lovely chicken and
raisin casserole and asked if I'd like to stay and share a meal with her.
I'm telling you...if I wasn't waiting for my Fancy girl, I might just ask
Miss Francis for a date.  She is such a sweet lady.  And she is one fine
chef!!

Lunch was delicious!  I even had seconds.  With a full belly and needing
a nap, I left Francis' purple cottage and began my search.  I guess I can
always have a nap later... All I really knew was that I was searching for
two good-looking sables, and I knew their names....hopefully luck would
be on my side.

I walked for a while and met Baxter, Tazzy and Ginger over in the far
side of The Meadows.  They were having a picnic and napping in the warm
autumn sun.  I sat with them for a few minutes, really wishing I could
lay down in the cool grass and have a quick nap but knowing I had a task
at hand.  I asked the picnickers if they knew Zebby and Cher-Bear, Tazzy
thought he'd met them a while ago and directed me towards the same area
that Francis had mentioned, out past The Pool Of Remembrance.  I said my
goodbyes and continued my trek, hoping to find them and get back home
before sunset.

As I walked I noticed some of the subtle changes nature endures as the
seasons change.  Leaves were turning crimson and orange from their
summertime greens and yellows.  Many wildflowers had finished their
summer jobs and now lay wilted and sad in the fields...only to return
next Spring.  The Rainbow Bridge is a constant reminder of the cycles of
life.  Everything is created, lives life in service to others or to
nature and then passes on, but with every Spring comes a renewal of life
and the cycle begins again.  The one true lesson is that life never ends
in The Rainbow Bridge community.  We are always waiting for reunions, for
loved ones to join us and then when we travel to the Great Beyond, life
is everlasting.  Death is a part of Life, and even though it saddens our
hearts, it should also bring us hope, for one day we will all be reunited
with every single one of our loved ones who have passed on before us.

Nearing the end of my search I came upon The Pool Of Remembrance....
should I stop for just a moment and check on Fancy?  I haven't been here
in a while, and the urge to gaze down on her was just too strong for me
to ignore.  And The Pool itself is so tantalizingly glorious to behold.
The sun glints off the sparkling clear water, enticing you, almost
hypnotic in it's existence.  I sat by the waters edge and dangled my paw,
the water was so cool and refreshing...I could stay here forever.  As the
ripples settled, I gazed down into the clear blue pool and I focused on
Fancy Ferret, the only girlie fert I ever loved.  Like magic, an image
began to form and I could see Fancy, she was lounging in her hammie in
the home that used to be mine and hers.  She was almost asleep, her soft
eyes barely open, her breathing came slowly and she hovered on the edge
of peaceful slumber....I wondered if she was thinking of me at that
moment.  I imagined that she was, and I blew her a kiss and pledged my
undying love to her....then, sadly, I had to say goodbye.  I had to
finish my quest and find Zebediah and Cher-Bear before evening fell.

I had only been this far out in the community a few times in all the time
I have lived here.  As I left the comfort of the Pool Of Remembrance I
walked down a well worn path where I knew there were some cottages.  I
could hear playful laughter up ahead and hurried along the path.  I came
upon a cluster of cottages, they were surrounded by mounds of moss and
wildflowers, covered by a canopy of of old oaks.  It was beautiful and
now I understood why someone might want to live so far away from the
hustle and bustle of everyday life in The Rainbow Bridge Community.  As
I approached the first cottage a very pretty albino noticed me and waved,
I walked over and introduced myself and found out her name was Lustre.
I asked if she knew of Zebby and Cher-Bear and she nodded happily, "Oh
Yes, they live next door!  Come on!  I'll introduce you!" She held out a
pristine white paw, which I happily accepted and we went to the next
cottage.  She knocked on the cottage door, then entered without waiting
for anyone to answer.  "We are all like family here." she said, "No
secrets."

"Zebby?  This nice fert has been looking for you!"

I saw a sable ferret, with his back to me, he was re-arranging the
furniture in his cottage.  He turned and looked and said "Who are you?"

I introduced myself, again and asked if he was Zebediah.

"That's me!  You can call me Zebby, everybody does."

I told Zebby that I was there to check on him and Cher-Bear, at the
request of their Earth Mom and Dad, Sue and Dave.  I explained that their
Earth family wanted to be sure that both Zebby and Cher-Bear were happy
and had settled in at The Rainbow Bridge.

"Oh we are fine and dandy!" exclaimed Zebediah.

I asked where Cher-Bear was and Zebby told me she had gone into the Far
Meadows to pick an end of the summer bouquet of wildflowers and get some
herbs for tea.

I asked him also why they had chosen to live so far away from most of
the other residents on the Rainbow Bridge community.

His answer was so simple, and made perfect sense to me....

"Well, when I first came here, I met Lustre and she showed me around...
one of the places she took me to was the Pool Of Remembrance.  She showed
me how to use the Pool so I could check on my Earth Mom and Dad, and all
my friends.  It is such a beautiful, magical place that I decided I would
live as close to it as I could.  I can go to the Pool every day and check
on my loved ones, and that gives me great comfort and makes my heart sing
with joy!"

I nodded, fully understanding because I also derive such joy from my
visits to The Pool.

Zebby invited me to stay for dinner with them, but I declined, explaining
that I'd much rather head home and fall into a deep and happy sleep in
the comfort of my own hammie.  He asked me to be sure to tell Sue and
Dave, and the Winchester Weezils that he and Cher-Bear are fine.  They
are happy and that they are watching from above most every day.  One day
they will all be reunited, until then, Zebby and Cher-Bear have each
other.

Send Bridge greeting requests to: