From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 15:33:01 EDT
Re: ferret eating undies
>Needless to say, we will no longer be leaving that kind of stuff around for
>her to eat.  Does anyone have any suggestions for something she could chew
>that is safe and might distract her?  Rawhide? ... Will she grow out of it?

Grow out of it?  Probably not.  Rawhide?  Definately not!  Rawhide can cause
blockages in dogs so I would worry about it causing blockages in ferrets as
well.  We have a ferret you likes to chew duct tape, another that likes to
perforate cardboard (tons a little teeth marks adorn all the boxes in her
reach), and one who chews...nay, eats socks, underwear, and the like.  While
the cardboard/duct tape chewers are just that, the Sockinator *eats* socks.
She has done it since a kit and will steal socks and drag them off to be
eaten if ever given the opportunity.

Can you redirect her chewing?  Probably as easily as you can redirect a
ferret's digging.  (Take this as a 'no'.) You can try getting her small dog
toys like nylabones, gummabones, bodabones, and so on.  But if your ferret
is like ours, they just carry the toys from hidey hole to hidey hole.  ;)
Whatever toys you do try, be sure to keep an eye on if she is chewing them
apart and eating pieces of the toys.

Re: Dooking
<sung to 'Jamming' by Bob Marley>
I loved it.  I think I've sung a variant of 'Dooking' to our ferts.  Ferrets
are such laid back critters that reggae definately seems like something that
they would like!  ;) My hubbie and I are always twisting some song for the
ferrets.  Our current favorite is the 'Raggle Taggle Ferrets' sung to the
tune 'Raggle Taggle Gypsies'.

Re: BIG
Three *big* huzzahs for BIG and his moderation of the FML!  Huzzah!  Huzzah!
Huzzah!  :) We all appreciate your time and late night efforts!

Re: Gotta give up my ferret(s)
I find it kind of sad that we've seen lots of 'I have to give up my ferret'
posts lately.  Just must be a bad spell we're in or maybe it's just the that
time of year.  I sure hope it subsides soon.

-kim, squirt ('Dooking USA' sung to 'Surfn USA'), pippi ('Pippi Lou'
 sung to 'Mary Lou'), atlas (who absolutely loves being sung to),
 and 'jinx ('Bad to the Bone')

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.