From:
Mary McCarty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2007 08:38:13 -0800
>read about 8 in 1. Can someone tell me definitively that 8 in 1 is a
>known problem that I should remove from the regimen?...

I don't believe you can single out 8in1 as being the bad guy - they do
have a variety of foods from good to bad quality (which one are you
feeding?), but what everyone needs to remember is that there are *many*
not so great kibbles available.

If you don't want to feed your ferrets a healthier, more natural diet
(meat-based), then you need to find a kibble that has the least amount
of carbs and an ingredient list high in meat protein.

The ferret community is fortunate to have options these days of
choosing a kibble that is much closer to a ferret's natural diet then
ever before. Innova EVO and Natural Gold are two that I am familiar
with and recommend. Read the labels, you'll see what I mean.

>... I love my fuzzies dearly and mourn the loss greatly. I need to
>know what is happening or what I need to do differently.

The only way for you to have answers regarding the death of your kids
is to have necropsies done at the time of death. If that was not done,
then you will never know for sure what happened.

Insulinoma can be diagnosed with a simple fasted blood glucose test -
was that done before they died? Was any bloodwork or xrays or fecal
exams done?

Were your ferrets tested for ADV? That is another option that springs
to mind based on the symptoms you describe.

There is just too many things that it could have been to narrow it down
to just one without a necropsy.

I'm very sorry for your loss and I do think that improving your
ferret's diet will help overall. Good luck!

Mary

Novel Beginnings Ferretry
http://www.geocities.com/novelbeginnings/